white things on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im unfortunatly having all sorts of problems just starting up my tank :(

Anyhow, does ich attach itself to aquarium glass at all? I just found out my clown possibly has ich, which I am in the process of dealing with

These white spots on the glass almost look like microscopic spiral shells almost pinhead size...and some look like they have again teeny tiny microscopic legs. I wish I could take a picture, but unfortunatly even though I have a decent camera it cant focus on these little spots.

Are there anything that sounds like that i need to be concerned with?

You cannot see ich on the glass. It sounds like pods which are perfectly normal. I went through the same thing. Take a look at the pictures below. Is this what you have?

Attachments

• White Spots on Glass.jpg
    White Spots on Glass.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 6,019
  • white spots.jpg
    white spots.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 4,966
thats exactly it! normal things then huh? thats at least some good news.

I thought about returning my clownfish to the LFS, because I didnt buy a qt tank ( I just bought him sunday ) because hes developed ich. sigh... so much trouble already. But, I guess I'll be getting a QT tank and treating him, hed probably die if I took him to the LFS.. I dont want to loose another fish. That broke my heart already.. hhmth.

I agree, are you sure it's not sand or a bubble? I thought my clown had ich, but it was just a few little pieces of sand.

Yeah, I just noticed that and on your first SW tank...big time bummer. Hang in there and your learning experience can add greatly to the experience of this site.

You cannot see ich on the glass. It sounds like pods which are perfectly normal. I went through the same thing. Take a look at the pictures below. Is this what you have?
The things in your photos are not "pods". They are hydroid jellyfish.

as long as they're nothing to worry about.

thanks again for your help. Starting treatment, hopefully the lil guy makes it.

I was just going to mention that... ryshark, those things in the pictures are NOT pods... at least not any I've ever seen or heard of. My guess was going to be hydroids, but I've never seen that type before. You don't want those.

Arg.. lol. ( cant anything go right?)

Mine look exactly like whats in that picture. Any idea of what they are and if they do indeed need to go ( for sure get rid of them?) how to get rid of them all?

They look more like hydrozoans to me (Staurocladia oahuensis) they are hydroid jellyfish.
Oh waterfaller got it and I must have missed the post.

Last edited:
What ever they are, I got them at the same time as you which was right after the cycle. They went away on their own and caused no problems at all.

Yep..they will disappear...stop stressing over this, it's supposed to be fun remember..

lol I know, just tough when you lose your first fish and your 2nd has ich! ( needless to say I was a bit paranoid! )

I'm feeling better though ;) So far so good

Last edited:
lol I know, just tough when you lose your first fish and your 2nd has ich! ( needless to say I was a bit paranoid! )

I'm feeling better though ;) So far so good

I wouln't worry much about loosing your first fish, I almost guarentee there's not a person here who didn't loose their first fish.

Not only that, But you will probably loose several dozen more. For every fish in my tank, i've prob. lost 2-3. Its very unfortunate, but most of the time, once you learn all the in's and out's there's not much you can do. Some fish are going to die no matter what you do, some fish will die just because of stress, weather from taking him from the LFS, or from his travels to the LFS.

These fish travel long distances, and they go in and out of many tanks. Some fish are very hardy and can withstand this, others are very sensative, and if the planets aren't in perfect alignment, and the gravitional pull of the earth isn't just right, they just arn't going to live. That's why LFS's are rich, and we are all poor. LOL.

-TheChad

Oh I understand fully ;) Doesnt make it less frustrating though! heh

Thanks for all the help

Maybe not less frustrating, but hopefully less discouraging. A lot of people give up on this hobby instead of sticking it out through the tough parts.

Back
Top Bottom