whitish water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buggsmarinetank

Aquarium Advice Regular
what would you think is the primary cause of a whitish colored water?

20 gallon

roughly 7 small fish
1 cory cat
1 algae eater

My water comes out of the tap looking cloudy and milky - it's caused by my faucet aerator. After the water sits for a few minutes, the tiny air bubbles dissipate and the water clears up. Is this what you're observing?

Another reason may be a bacterial bloom. Has the tank been cycled?
Cloudy water can also be caused by adding tank decorations that have not been washed and rinsed.

HTH

something added to the filter? soap? probably bacteria like QTOFFER said if nothing else or silicone residue if it's a new tank.

the cloudiness is'nt from the faucet, and nothing added to filter has done it either. A bloom may be the cause, It is about 3-4 weeks cycled, but due to ammo chips in my filters, I think that I have been slowing down the completion of the cycle.

Hi, I guess I'm a little confused about your last statement. (I'm a newbie to the hobby :mrgreen: but bear with me...) Is your tank truly cycled? ie Ammonia and Nitrites read 0ppm? Also, have you tried a blackout in case it's an algae bloom? This happens if you have high Nitrates that encourage rapid algae growth and I've noticed it often happens toward the end of a cycle. Green water usually starts out as a milky white cloud in water that turns progressively greener within a week. Hold off feeding for a couple of days in conjunction with either a blackout or planting some low-light plants and see if that makes a difference. The idea is to starve the algae of nutrients and light.

well....
It is about 3-4 weeks cycled, but due to ammo chips in my filters, I think that I have been slowing down the completion of the cycle.

Is your tank truly cycled

I said I think I am causing it to cycle slower....
I dont think a "blackout" would help, only beacuse thew whitish color has been around for about 6 days. If it was algae, it would have bloomed, or gotten worse by now.

I take it you are 3-4 weeks into the cycle? What are your readings (NH3/NO2/NO3)? Bacterial blooms are pretty common in the early part of the cycle.

It is possible that this is from tiny air bubbles. I had a leaky seal in my cannister a while back & air got into the filter, got chopped up by the impeller & came out milky. The air bubbles are so small that they don't float up to the top of the tank & the whole tank looked cloudy as a result.

Back
Top Bottom