Who has a quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have a floating 1 currently holding my oscar water goes through it but the fish dont

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120218_083038.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120218_083038.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 109
I keep my QT empty sitting in my closet. If I ever need a filter for it, then I can just take one of the filters off some of the other tanks.

The whole point of QT is to isolate the new, sick, or injured fish away from all the other fish. In-tank QT would most likely work along with a UV sterilizer.

sniperfreak said:
Had a small 10g quarantine tank, but now it's a Betta tank.

Lol that's what I did too :p
I have a 5 and 20, one has fry and one has koi(QT until march 1st)

I did NOT have a QT and when putting new fish in my 55 Gal. I introduced something bad and I lost some old and new fish. It's a long-story (on another thread) but I will never make that mistake again. I got a decently priced kit from Petco last night.

I'm expecting to be setting up a donated fish tank at my school and will insist that I be able to set up a QT somewhere. Actually, the nurses office is a good place for one.

Keeping a QT Tank

Hi
Who here has a quarantine tank?

Thanks

Hello fishy...

I know I'm going to go against a lot of "expert advice" with this statement, but here goes. You can save the money to keep and maintain a quarantine tank by doing two things: Know the source of your fish and plants. Rinse the plants well in tap water and then keep them in a bucket of your water change water for 24 hours. As for the fish, examine them carefully. If they have good color and shape and in general appear healthy, they don't have to be quarantined.

I have a "Plan B" just in case a fish or plant may have a parasite that survives my rinsing or inspection. I add a little more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of my water change water. The majority of fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the tank water and I've read it helps maintain the fishes' immune system.

Weekly, large water changes of at least 50 percent of the tank volume will keep the enviornment stable for the fish and plants. Healthy fish in a stable environment aren't very likely to be infected by parasites.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

I have a QT that is holding 6 silver hatchetfish right now. I don't keep it set up all the time--only when I need it. In my 27-gallon tank, I keep a Hydro IV sponge filter along with my regular AquaClear 50 filter. When I need a QT or hospital tank, I just move the sponge filter into my extra tank and--voila! Instant cycle!

I have one that I keep running always. It is cycled and has snails in it. When I have a sick fish, I move the snails to the other tanks, test the water and add the sick fish and treat. Then when all is done, I use carbon to clean up the meds and clean the tank to the nesaccary extent then put the snails back in. It's always cycled and ready for anything!;)

Sounds like a great way to use a QT. so your snails produce enough waste to keep your QT tank cycled?

Sounds like a great way to use a QT. so your snails produce enough waste to keep your QT tank cycled?

I guess so because I have the water tested every month and it's perfect. It's such a cute little tank too. ;) I used to keep it bare bottom with one plastic plant, but found that way to be unsuccessful for fish that need quarentine for a long period of time. It's not really that easy to use a turkey baster or tube to collect debris off the bottom...and the glass gets covered in algae after just a week of quarentining in such condition.

Also, the fish are not secure in a bare tank like that adding to stress. So, in this tank I have substrate and some plastic plants and a piece of driftwood. Some might not agree with this setup for a QT, but it works great for me! (y) I love it! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom