who is eating my snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought some astrea snails, after one day two of them are dead well missing. I used to have this one hermit crab that when it got bigger it would try and eat my nassarius snails (id interupt it though) then he ate half my sifter star so i yanked it out. I have another hermit thats getting bigger now and think he moght be the culpret. what do you think? what else hitch hiker wise would eat snails? i dont have any fish that would clown and tang and blenny...standard clean up crew so it must be him right?

doug

Your hermit could be the culprit if the shells are intact. If the shells are broken, it maybe be a hitchhiker crab or mantis. Or, perhaps the snails are dying and being cleaned up. Hard to really say for sure unless you catch them in the act.

If you have hermits than I would suspect it is them. If you do not give the hermits empty shells to grow into they will steal your snails shells.

If you have hermits than I would suspect it is them. If you do not give the hermits empty shells to grow into they will steal your snails shells.

And I found this out the hard way. :roll:

Now, my hermits have plenty of shells, but if not, they will pick apart the snails in no time at all. My hermits have not touched the astreas though, and went straight for the turbo snails. Perhaps their shells were prettier. :wink:

My hermit crabs killed a bunch of snails I put in. I also suspect my peppermint shrimp, because I saw him drag one under the rock once.

I had the same problem. Come to find out, it was my chocolate chip starfish that was killing my snails. I woke up one morning to find the starfish eating breakfast right out of the shell.

My hermits have not touched the astreas though, and went straight for the turbo snails. Perhaps their shells were prettier.
Maybe they new an easy target when they saw one. You flip them on their backs and they are hosed. :roll:

i have not bought any new live rock, i have 60lbs of fiji and its been in there.
readings? as in ph etc...?

they are all normal parameters.....within reason of health...

doug

Sifting Star... as in Sand Sifting Starfish? If he's still in the tank, that's your culprit. They'll eat those snails (especially nasirrus snails that also hide under the sand).. a few a night. Kind of interesting to watch though.

Back
Top Bottom