Who run aeration at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have a 75 gallon high tech tank with co2 and have been running a aerator at night for the past few months. I'm contemplating the usefulness of it. Since I starting using a penguin 350 hob filter with a filter baffle to give more water turnover and pointed my spray bar slightly upward. How many people on here that inject co2 run aeration at night?

I stoped aerating I found that the it was having little to no effect on my tank so I bought a penguin 200 hob and just let the action of the surface agitation of the work.

I have a nano powerhead that I aim downwards during the day but point it upwards at night to increase surface agitation some. I only do this in the 220g where I run CO2 at a higher level. I don't do anything in the 55g that has CO2. But that tank only runs at about 1 bps.

I have a nano powerhead that I aim downwards during the day but point it upwards at night to increase surface agitation some. I only do this in the 220g where I run CO2 at a higher level. I don't do anything in the 55g that has CO2. But that tank only runs at about 1 bps.
Clever I have my 2 circulation pumps near the surface of my tank so I can just point them up. My co2 is running at an insane rate. If I had to guess I'd say 10-15 bps.

Clever I have my 2 circulation pumps near the surface of my tank so I can just point them up. My co2 is running at an insane rate. If I had to guess I'd say 10-15 bps.

I couldn't begin to guess at how many bps I run in the 220g. It only has two large powerheads for diffusers and my drop checker is light green to a light yellow green but doesn't bother the fish at all. I just point the PH up at night as the CO2 did bother the fish in the beginning so I just got in the habit and still mostly remember to do it every evening.

Hi all, listening and learning here. I have a nice co2 system in route. Supposed to be here this Wed. Excited with trepidations. River, remember when I said going from "Gluter" to "Gasser"? Well I guess I am one too now. I have an Aquaclear 50 HOB running on the 29 as well as the Fluval 206. I'm hoping the HOB surface movement will be able to off gas the tank well enough at night. Aqua talks about inconsistent CO2 levels aggravating algae problems. Would running air at night as well as the HOB be a good idea because of this? Any and all tips you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.
I am getting the 55mm atomic diffusor from GLA. It's a ceramic tube shape diffusor. Would it be a good idea to let part or all of the fine bubbles go into the canister intake or under the outflow pipe to spread it around the tank? Thanks all, OS.

You don't want too much surface movement during the day. Some but not a lot or you lose too much CO2 to gassing off. It took me a while of adjusting my outflows to get it where I wanted it. IMO running something like a bubbler or power head at night to increase gassing off won't hurt at all. You just have to remember to turn it off or with the PH's aim them down in the morning before CO2 goes off. Since I use PH's to diffuse the CO2 in the 220 and have an inline diffuser in the 55 I don't know what to tell you about your diffuser and moving the CO2.

Hi all, listening and learning here. I have a nice co2 system in route. Supposed to be here this Wed. Excited with trepidations. River, remember when I said going from "Gluter" to "Gasser"? Well I guess I am one too now. I have an Aquaclear 50 HOB running on the 29 as well as the Fluval 206. I'm hoping the HOB surface movement will be able to off gas the tank well enough at night. Aqua talks about inconsistent CO2 levels aggravating algae problems. Would running air at night as well as the HOB be a good idea because of this? Any and all tips you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. I am getting the 55mm atomic diffusor from GLA. It's a ceramic tube shape diffusor. Would it be a good idea to let part or all of the fine bubbles go into the canister intake or under the outflow pipe to spread it around the tank? Thanks all, OS.
That's the same situation I'm in and I discovered the hob alone is enough. I have a filter baffle on mine to reduce surface agitation so yours should be good for sure.

Toby I have a filter baffle on my HOB also. Made from a 1 ltr bottle body.
River, I have my airstone and UV sterilizer on a timer that turns it on at night and off in the morning. So it sounds like that will already work well w/the CO2. Thanks so much guys. OS.

Back
Top Bottom