who uses 20k bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'm trying to figure out who all uses 20 k mh's. does any one have regrets getting them? what corals do you keep with them?

thanks

mark

I have a 20K 250W XM bulb over my 20. I have NO regrets.

I have a frogspawn, hammer, xenia, bubble tip anenome, Green star polyps and purple polyps under the lights.

You generally get a bit less par out of the higher K bulb. If you're aim is growth then you'll be disappointed as that will likely slow down. If your goal is purely color then you're in great shape, as long as you don't mind the look of the tank with the seriously blue hue. I run 14ks on my display with no actinics. Not sure I'd be able to go all the way to 20k.

That would be nice if you could run a 6700k bulb and then run the blue actinic bulbs on the PC. It would look awsome plus you would get some nice growth. I have a 10k bulb and a bit of actinic lighting, I think it looks nice but I might go with a 14k next time.

I have run 3 250 watt 20k HQI bulbs on my reef tank. I had excellent growth and beautiful color. I did experience a color shift a little sooner than I had expected, I am not sure if it was the brand of bulb or what. This time, I have 2 14k and a 20k.

Back
Top Bottom