Who's eating my plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpr233

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I have a 72 gal bow and I have around 50 fish in it. I have a good load of plants. I recently purchased a long grass looking stem (I forgot the name of it). Now it looks like someone is nipping at the leaves. I don't know who is the one doing it.
My load is this:

Bala shark 3
Pinktail chelceus 1
Serpea tetra 6
Penguin tetra 1
Zebra danios 6
Tiger barbs 3
Emerald barb 6
Odessa barb 2
Zebra snails 2
Rasboras 4
Bloodfins 4
Cory metae 3
Neon tetras 14
Black neon tetra 2
Unknown barb 3
Pleco 1
Siamese algae eaters 6
Clams 2
Otos 4

can anyone help me find out who's eating the plant??

Possibly your pleco and Otto cats. If there isn't enough algae for them to eat, they will eat a thin layer of plant cells on the leaves causing that leaf to die.

I have three 1" oto cats in my 40b to eat my algae and they do a wonderful job. Should I remove them after the algae goes away? I don't want them killing my plants.

Could the unknown barb be a rosy barb? I have had problems with mine eating fine leaved plants, they don't seem to bother larger leaved plants though.

Thx guys I think is time to find a new home for the barbs...

I have three 1" oto cats in my 40b to eat my algae and they do a wonderful job. Should I remove them after the algae goes away? I don't want them killing my plants.
I dont think you should rehome them, because i dont think they will really damage your plants and even if you cant see the algae i bet they will find some in an established tank:)

I thought of it and I kept them. I wasn't the barbs, it was the pinktail chalceus eating the plants. I caught him in the act.
He did go back to the LFS. nice looking fish thou

Back
Top Bottom