Why am I still battling high nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 120 has been up and running for over 8 months, and my nitrates are still around 40. I've got the DSB, 4 Hagen 70s at 400 gph each and no more bio balls. Plus cheato in the sump.

I do a 15 gallon PWC every 2 weeks.

Why the continued high nitrates?

Thx

Spin

It's possible you are struggling with the same problem I have had in the past. My local water has nitrates in it, so when I've been doing water changes, I haven't been getting rid of the nitrates!

Are you using RO/DI water or treated tap water? If you are using tap water, test it right out of the tap, and see if the nitrates register. If they do, you may be taking the nitrates out and then putting them right back in.

Paul

what kind of water do you use? have you checked you new water for nitrates?
still only the 7 fish? Seeing you only used 50lbs of lr and 150 of base it could be taking time for the LR to build up ?? just a thought... 40 is not over the top yet so just keep up on the water changes. Try another type of macroalgae in the fuge ans see if that helps..

I use a Kent CTA 10 RO unit. I did test the RO'ed water and it had zero nitrates. I would feed the fish a pinch of flake and 1/8 tsp, of kent reef carnivore or herbivore pellets every day. This for 2 Clowns and a YT. Also have a cleanup crew for what little food is left.

Spin

I very often feed only every other day. During vacation, my fish can go for 6 or 7 days with no food, so every two days might work for you also.

How big is your cleanup crew anyway. # of hermits? Shrimp? Brittle star? Got any nassarius snails for the sand bed Things like those might help too.

This may not solve the problem, but it will sure help.
1. Lose the flakes and stick with frozen.
2. PWC of 15 gal every two weeks is not sufficient for a 120, especially if you want to keep NO3's down. Try 15-20 gallons weekly, every week.
3. Cut feeding to every other day. Even every third day, on occasion.

I have a much higher load in my 55 and my NO3's stay <10, although never close to 0. Also, your LR isn't at full capacity yet. That will help too, as the months progress. Good luck!

Do you have any pre filter sponges? They can be a source of nitrates as well if neglected.
I have also read that red mangroves can help with nitrates.

Yeah, I've got 2 pre filter sponges in the overflow box. I have 2 sets that I rotaete a couple times a week. Maybe I should change them more often? I also have a sponge block in the sump that I rotatae every 2 weeks. Maybe I should just get rid of it.

Spin

Back
Top Bottom