Why are my Platy's hiding all the time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blahblahblah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g tank I've had for about 4 months now. 2 (of the 3 that survived cycling of my tank ) of my original Sunburst platies have been hiding inside a large rock display for a couple months now. Time they come out as when you turn the light on and they think it's feeding time. One of them doesn't look very good but has been hanging in there. The other one looks just fine. When I purchased them they were in the same tank with some gold panda Molly. I purchased two of those mollies(again only one survived while I was cycling my tank). Well one of those mollies has been bullying the four black skirt tetras I also have. I have not seen him bully the platies. So I can't figure out why they continue to hide. I have recently added 2 guppies and two more of the mollies hoping it would calm the bully down. Any suggestions on why my Sunburst platies continue to hide ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish hiding is not always down to them being scared, sometimes they just take that spot as their territory. I have 4 serpae tetras, not timid fish, but they lurk in an arch of the bog wood. My 5 rummy nose have bagged a spot under a big ball of moss. However my cardinals all school in open water. When ever I add new fish or rearrange the tank the hierarchy and swimming areas change.
What I have noticed is that larger numbers of a given species makes them more sociable and less likely to be bullied and to be bullies.
Breaking up the swimming areas using plants and wood etc also allows the fish to swim out of line of sight from other fish, I find this gives more timid fish more confidence.
Also, I have noticed that a tank that is fully stocked with well matched fish in size and nature are less likely to pick on each other than in the early days when the tank is well under stocked.
As a short term measure I would isolate the bully in a large net, use a little gravel in the bottom to hold it open and drop in a little plant so that the fish doesn't get stressed. Keep him there for a while until the the other fish have re-established their own territories.
The tetras will do better in a group of 7 or more, safety in numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom