Why are water changes necesary ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zkt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the chemistry behind this ? If the PH, Kh, Nh3 and all that are good, why is it necessary ? I would think the well growing plants, snails, protozoans, and bacteria would keep everything in balance. At least thats the way it is with the outside pond. True those are goldfish. What are the fish producing that the mini ecosystem we`ve set up not dealing with ?

Generally people who don't do enough water changes have out of control nitrates leading to old tank syndrome. Some hardy fish can survive for years in high nitrate tanks as the condition developed over a period of time and the fish got used to living in filth..... but good luck ever adding anything new to the tank! I believe heavily planted tanks can possibly go longer without water changes being necessary......but as far as never changing the water..... 8O I would think it would be extremely hard if not impossible to create an ecosystem that complete in a box.

Thats certianly the consencous of opinion alrite. Was just hoping that someone could provide a scientific explanation as to why.

Well I would think that ponds are still something different, as they are very large.

Yea, Im sure most are. But the one I have in the back yard is about 150 gal. I never do more than change the filter when the flow slows too much and add water if the level gets too low. Crystal clear water, and happy goldfish.

Water changes are needed to rid the tank of the excess nitrates and nutrients. Indoor tanks and outdoor ponds are two VERY different things.

No science for you here, but...

An outdoor pond will have natural water changes, rainwater will overflow the pond, therefore giving a water change. So a pond is not really a closed system like an aquarium.

Dont the plants eat the nitrates ? If I remember correctly; plants+light+co2+O2 +nitrates+ phoshpates+ potassium compounds+ a little trace elements=carbohydrates+ o2. Im not trying to start an argument here. But if theres a sound scientific reason behind mandatory water changes- what is it ?

Not an argument, a discussion. That's what we're all about here. :D There are still excess nutrients in the water that need to be removed by water changes. As kim said, ponds have an advantage over aquariums because they have natural water changes. The water in tanks only evaporate, which then compounds the nutrients. In ponds, fresh water is added through rain and runoff removes old water.

I like to think of it as airing the house out. Yes, you can exist in your house without opening doors and windows to let the fresh air in. ....But a good housecleaning and opening the house to fresh air makes for a healthier environment. Cleaning your tank, doing water changes accomplishes much the same thing for a fish tank. At least, that is the explanation I give my sons when I am asking them to haul 20 buckets of water on the big tanks water change day.

At least, that is the explanation I give my sons when I am asking them to haul 20 buckets of water on the big tanks water change day.

Haven't you invested in a python yet Hara? :D

Sounds reasonable, except the pond I refered to is built out of concrete and not connected to the ground water. Same as a fish tank. It loses water by evaporation and is replaced by rainwater only. Same as a fish tank, except I replace the water from the tap.
The airing out sounds like a good idea. Outta recommend that to NASA so they can do it on the Space Station. ( ggod-natured poking fun)

hara.. are the buckets for SW tanks?
there is a great thread in FW monster island about water changes that you should check out.. :p

THat was interesting and good anecdotal evidence for the benefits of water changes but it dosent contribute anything new to the discussion.
There is a lot of biochemistry going on in a fish tank. I would think it is all well understood.

zkt said:
THat was interesting and good anecdotal evidence for the benefits of water changes but it docent contribute anything new to the discussion.

gee, sorry to have wasted your time..and mine. make like Nike and "just do it".

I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking for here? Do you want a specific scholarly writing on this?

The fact is that bio-filters nor plants can remove 100% of the actual waste from our tanks. Not chaning the water will eventually lead to build ups of minerals as well as carbons in the water. This will cause fish deaths. This is substantiated fact. There are also phermones in the tank as well. Since we do not know exactly what all the phermones are doing and we want to keep our fish happy.

Natural environments remove particulate matter through strong currents, which is why fresh water is called "fresh water". This cannot be replicated in a closed glass box. Therefore, the fresh water in aquariums has to be artificially "cleaned" via water changes.

How often and how much is anecdotal....some folks change small amounts weekly, some do large amounts monthly.

HTH.

You didnt waste my time at all. Didnt mean to give you that impression. :(
But I strongly believe in basing ones actions on facts, and logical reasoning.
And so far I cant find a logical reason for water changes in a well balanced tank.
I believe that if all the processes are in balance it isnt necessary. The corys, gourami, and redfin sharks in my tank are testament to it. The dying off of the other species may be due to killing rather than toxins.
The way to tell is to remove all the agressive fish and see if the passive ones continue to die or not.

What are the wastes that are not removed by plants and filtration ?
The minerals are present in the tap water too and its a one for one replacement situation .
Phermones are complex organic chemicals that break down rather quickly.

I can guarantee you that in a closed system, adding fresh water and everything that comes with it to the tank is good. Try this for example…

Lock yourself in your room with a months worth of food, never leave, will you survive? Now if you got a fresh batch of food, water, and removed some of the waste, you would have no problems. If you didn’t manage that, you would survive eating what ever you can, but it wouldn’t be a great life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom