Why cant i trust my lfs!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Good grief you would think either I would stop being stupid and listening to these people or they would hire people who know what they are doing!
I bought 3 pond plants. Was told that just putting the whole pot with dirt in my tank would be fine. Did that. Today my fish are dying. Called LFS, "Oh I probably wouldnt have done that. Thats a bad idea." WHAT!? And they cant replace my fish because "other factors beyond our control may be involved."
I had my suspicions when I saw the little green balls in the dirt but I thought they knew what they were doing and hey its meant for a pond. I am going to let it ride and see who survives. Honestly if nobody survives I will leave it empty for awhile. I dont know if the dirt caused a spike in parameters or if the fertilizer balls poisoned the water. Its irritating though. End of rant.

Never trust your LFS. Even if they know their stuff, listen to them and then research regardless.

This just goes to show that you can't trust almost any stores with our fish and you must do your own research just to b safe. Sorry about your fish.:(

Thanks yall. I just assumed they would at least know something this simple. Double dose of prime and they seem ok (except one who was too far gone). I think it was nitrate or ammonia spike due to the soil. I suppose it could have been a temp fluctuation due to the tank being by a window but I havent had any problems with that yet....

why dont you take your fish out and put into a bucket and then fix the tank.

I tend to do my research before I buy livestock. The only time I make an exception is if it's a species very similar to something I've kept or if it's from a local breeder

My LFS won't even special order things. They aren't very helpful really so I never ask them any questions. Hope you fish make it!

I double dosed some prime and it seems to have done the trick for now. The fish are not looking as bad. The only thing is a kind of ruffled scales look on part of one. Hopefully all will stay good.

Actually the best place to buy pond plants is from a local garden center or nursery. Sounds silly but you know you have the right one when they have pond with live healthy fish. They don't sell the fish they are just there to be pretty for the costumers. My favorite nursery has an small pond inside the green house. The pond plants are right next to the pond. It's more to give you ideas for a pond. Still always ask how they are fertilized.

Good idea! I am almost certain the problem was a ammonia or nitrate spike now though. I need to change the plants to heavier pots so they will sink though. Can I use plain clay or terra cotta?

On behalf of good LFSs, good ones would have given you good advice and told you what to expect by doing what you did with your plants. As you said, there may have been factors outside of the plants that may have caused the problem. Not that I'm saying your LFS was right or wrong, just that a blanket comment that you can't trust any of them is not really fair. I spent years being a reliable source of information at the retail Pet Stores I've worked at. (FYI: Websites and social group sites, even this one, are full of incorrect posts pertaining to fish keeping.) Books, those things found in book stores and libraries, are still a better source of information than online ( IMO). Also, people with years of experience are a better source of knowledge than someone just starting or only had fish for a couple of years. ( sometimes fish don't read the book and they become the exception not the rule but only multiple successful attempts at keeping these fish can show that. I can tell ya some funny ones for sure ;) )
So while I agree that it is up to you to confirm or dispell what you've been told, be careful from where you get your information.

On behalf of good LFSs, good ones would have given you good advice and told you what to expect by doing what you did with your plants. As you said, there may have been factors outside of the plants that may have caused the problem. Not that I'm saying your LFS was right or wrong, just that a blanket comment that you can't trust any of them is not really fair. I spent years being a reliable source of information at the retail Pet Stores I've worked at. (FYI: Websites and social group sites, even this one, are full of incorrect posts pertaining to fish keeping.) Books, those things found in book stores and libraries, are still a better source of information than online ( IMO). Also, people with years of experience are a better source of knowledge than someone just starting or only had fish for a couple of years. ( sometimes fish don't read the book and they become the exception not the rule but only multiple successful attempts at keeping these fish can show that. I can tell ya some funny ones for sure ;) )
So while I agree that it is up to you to confirm or dispell what you've been told, be careful from where you get your information.

Feel free to PM me some stories!

My LFS is owned by a father, his 2 sons, and 1 other guy. His sons give absolutely terrible advice . But the dad gives great advice and I trust him.

Good idea! I am almost certain the problem was a ammonia or nitrate spike now though. I need to change the plants to heavier pots so they will sink though. Can I use plain clay or terra cotta?

Yes I use clay pots as hiding caves in my tanks. Never had a problem.

Feel free to PM me some stories!

My LFS is owned by a father, his 2 sons, and 1 other guy. His sons give absolutely terrible advice . But the dad gives great advice and I trust him.
That can happen. Not all in a shop gives good info.
Just deal with the one(s) that does/do. No need to have to deal with the ones that don't. :nono:

The best story I can tell actually happened to me.
I used to breed Oscars.( I had 13 pairs of them at one time. :brows:) Usually I let the fish raise their fry but on one occasion I had removed the spawn so that I could experiment with hatching techniques. This infuriated the female and she took it out on the male. I had to separate them for a time. The first time after the separation that I fed the female her feeder goldfish ( a staple for her because we bred the goldfish) she corralled the goldies (which were still uncolored) and treated them as her own fry and didn't eat any of them. Someone seeing this but not knowing that this is abnormal behavior could easily say " Oh, you can keep Oscars and goldfish together, I've done or seen it." Wouldn't you agree this is a one in a million happening? Can you see someone saying that? The difference is that I had other fish to study and see "normal behavior" but not everybody does. People with years of experience probably will have seen other "abnormal" behaviors to know what is possible but not typical. 40+ years as a fish keeper gives me a lot of experiences to know what is typical and untypical.
Story #2- Keeping with the Oscar theme, I had a pair of wild commons that were 22" and 24" long. When I posted that on this site in another thread, I got a few responses challenging those measurements also stating that the fish does not get that large and where did I read that. My answer was simple,"My tape measurer." Has this person kept fish as long as I have? probably not. Has this person ever even seen a wild Oscar? Probably not. Should this person make these kinds of challenges? Probably not. But he/she did and he/she was very wrong and it's posted on this site.
See my point? :whistle:

I was not blanketing all LFSs just mine :) I totally see your point.
So what kind of clay pots are safe?

This is why I'm scared to open a store...I don't want people feeling this way

Thanks all! I will get some as soon as I can find them!
Openbrain, somebody will always be unhappy with you however if you are good the majority will be very pleased. My LFSs are all on the cruddy end when it comes to advice and such. They will give advice and then the same day tell you it was terrible advice ....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom