why did my HY511 runt die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I saw some of these HY511 hybrid "candy cane" Tetras in the LFS they had been there for months and I noticed one had some defect as he was swimming kind of at a sideways angle. I decided to purchase the whole tank full of about 7 or 8 of them I put them in a Q tank for about a month and then in my 125 gallon but today I discovered my "runt" dead this afternoon . He was was more alpha in that I noticed him grabbing food fast before others and being in otherwise good health despite that he had a bulge on his side and swam at an angle. Well after looking at his body the bottom had ruptured but I am not sure if this was from the gasses after he died or that he had worms? or he was overfed? dropsy? but after looking a bit inside a bit (I was squeamish to autopsy him since I was still sad that he had died)he had been in the 125 gallon for over a month now but I saw no red worms or anything from him.

just curious if this was something I should have de-wormed him for?

He always seemed to have an unusual shape from the others I thought he was just born that way.:(

Im only assuming that what killed him was the same as whatever caused him to have the bump on his side and swim funny.... sorry for you loss.

Back
Top Bottom