Why do i hate my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50gal FOWLR tank and I think it's super lame. For some reason I hate it. And I don't know why. My friends like it a lot but to be it just doesn't have that saltwater shimmer. First I thought it was because it has no corals. But I really like everyone's FOWLR that I see online. Then I thought its because the filter intakes and heater is visible but so are other people's and it doesn't bother me.
Is it because my lights are craptastic?
Or because I suck and aqua scaping?
Or because I have many different kinds of mismatched rock and it looks dumb?
Maybe the tank doesn't have enough fish and looks empty but on paper I'm fully and maybe even overstocked.
Why does my tank suck so bad? Please advise.

Attachments

• image-3930811045.jpg
    image-3930811045.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 211
  • image-1160837913.jpg
    image-1160837913.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 254
I like it? Maybe give a chance for coraline? Lighting makes ALL the difference, try upgrading to MH or LEDs?

Lighting can be a huge factor. It can definitely make a difference in appearance. Like the previous poster said, upgrading to LEDs or 2 T5s (one white, one actinic) will light it up and make it shimmer.

Not necessary, but opening up the aquascape will make it more attractive. Maybe doing a high to low type thing or 2 islands...google aquascapes and experiment with it.

What kind of fish do you have? Looks like you need to spice it up with variety as in get less common, more intriguing fish!

I agree with it probably being your lighting.

I don't know much about SW but maybe making some more caves and crevices from the rocks would help too?
I like the look of the mismatched rocks, but you are right, something about it seems a tad boring

I like your rocks too! I don't know anything about saltwater but it seems that it might look better with more color. I don't know if there are any saltwater plants or anything you can put in there but it would probably help. I agree with the lighting thing too.

I like your rocks too! I don't know anything about saltwater but it seems that it might look better with more color. I don't know if there are any saltwater plants or anything you can put in there but it would probably help. I agree with the lighting thing too.

I agree, saltwater tanks are ALL about "bright colors" I can't see any inhabitants but maybe some soft corals (with the right lighting) will make this thing pop.

My stock list is:

2x ocellaris clownfish
1x bicolor angelfish
3x green chromis
1x foxface lo
1x blue regal tang
1x diamond watchman goby

So my tank is fully stocked but my foxface is by far the biggest of them all and the fish that makes the tank look full but he hides a lot.

My guess was that it was probably the lighting because I always see this certain sparkle with SW tanks that mine seems to hack. The problem is that I can't afford to dish out the cash for fancy lights for this tank being that its 4 feet long and it seems wasteful with no corals.

I've been recently considering converting this tank to freshwater and setting up a nano reef in I spare 20g I have lying around. I could get lights at a much better price range for a two foot tank. But that means that I'm unable to keep anything larger than maybe a dwarf angel. Sigh.

Looking at the pics I would def say its the lighting.look on Craigslist. You might be able to find someone breaking down their tank and selling. Or you can look on ebay for LEDs. Taotronics makes so really nice inexpensive LEDs. If you wanna really make it pop, add some mushrooms and zoas. They are easy to keep usually and add a bit of color. Overall though the tank looks fine. It's just got a dull yellowish glow instead of a white or blue glow like most saltwater tanks.

+1 on the lights. The right lighting makes everything pop. I only have a 20g tank w/ 2 clowns (for now), but their colors *pop* under the LEDs.

WRT the rocks, wait for coralline. I'm (impatiently) waiting for it to appear on mine. It definitely adds a ton of color and beauty to the tank.

My stock list is:

2x ocellaris clownfish
1x bicolor angelfish
3x green chromis
1x foxface lo
1x blue regal tang
1x diamond watchman goby

So my tank is fully stocked but my foxface is by far the biggest of them all and the fish that makes the tank look full but he hides a lot.

My guess was that it was probably the lighting because I always see this certain sparkle with SW tanks that mine seems to hack. The problem is that I can't afford to dish out the cash for fancy lights for this tank being that its 4 feet long and it seems wasteful with no corals.

I've been recently considering converting this tank to freshwater and setting up a nano reef in I spare 20g I have lying around. I could get lights at a much better price range for a two foot tank. But that means that I'm unable to keep anything larger than maybe a dwarf angel. Sigh.

I call dibs on the foxface and regal if you convert it. :) seriously don't tear it down. Buy some LEDs for it. The shimmer from my metal halides and LEDs Is what really makes me enjoy my tank so much. Build you a tall canopy and you can put a smaller/shorter led fixture in the top about 15 inches of the water and although it won't grow hardcore coral, it will give you some shimmer and whitish blue tint to your water.

I currently have full spectrum bulbs. Do you think it would look better with colormax? Maybe it would give it a warmer coloured light? I had colour max bulbs when I had cichlids and it was a pinkish white light.

I currently have full spectrum bulbs. Do you think it would look better with colormax? Maybe it would give it a warmer coloured light? I had colour max bulbs when I had cichlids and it was a pinkish white light.

Nothing will compare to an led or MH lit tank IMO. I can guarantee any tank you've seen and was like WOW!! Was lit by one of the two. Colors come out better and everything pops. My corals looked 100% different and better just from going to 20k metal halide from 10k. My vote is instead of paying $50 for bulbs add $75 to it and get the led fixture. All the money we blow on saltwater species and stuff....why not make it look the best you can lol. Also just my opinion too no science here....fish seem happier in tanks with good lights like MH and LED. Or at least it seems that way to me.

I have an 8 bulb t5 and I love it! If you're not doing corals you could go with the 6 bulb or possibly 4 bulb. The difference with my t5 (well preference I guess) is I use Res Sea max t5 bulbs. I have 4 blue, 3 whites and a pink. My corals pop like crazy, everything's bright and its a really nice glow. I have lps, nps, softies, zoas, SPS, everything and they're growing like crazy. You can probably find a used fixture, like I said before. Some t5 bulbs aren't are nice looking for the tank IMO.

If you don't want to upgrade your light fixture try switching your bulb to a 10000k bulb. If you have 2 bulbs over your tank go with the 10000k and an actinic. That is the average color temperature most people shoot for in their tanks.

I have a PowerGlo 18000K lamp over my FW tank (yes, I know yours is FOWLR)...but it penetrates very well to the bottom of my tank (24 inches) and brings out amazing colors in my koi swords and rainbows.

I have a 50gal FOWLR tank and I think it's super lame. For some reason I hate it. And I don't know why. My friends like it a lot but to be it just doesn't have that saltwater shimmer. First I thought it was because it has no corals. But I really like everyone's FOWLR that I see online. Then I thought its because the filter intakes and heater is visible but so are other people's and it doesn't bother me.
Is it because my lights are craptastic?
Or because I suck and aqua scaping?
Or because I have many different kinds of mismatched rock and it looks dumb?
Maybe the tank doesn't have enough fish and looks empty but on paper I'm fully and maybe even overstocked.
Why does my tank suck so bad? Please advise.

I feel the same way some days... I just think a smaller tank would be prettier. I just bought the Seaview Seascape background. I think it will make a world of difference (I think the black bkground would be good when you have more going on in your tank like larger colorful fish or corals, it takes away from them when you have a colorful bkgrnd. Maybe you should get a colorful bkgrnd??). I also think a canopy helps too which I don't have yet AND my tank is low, I think it'll look better on a taller stand. So in time, I will get these things. For now, I chug along ;)

Back
Top Bottom