Why do my neon tetras keep dying? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh they definitely were from the same supplier. This was a big box store but the aquatics people are pretty good. I asked and they said they’ve been having issues with one particular supplier of some of their tetras and all their livebearers coming in with ich of various stages. Unfortunately it seems like they don’t have a lot of choice in which suppliers they use tool.

They try to treat when they can but those stores just aren’t set up for quarantine and treatment of big batches of ich ridden fish.

No, they're not set up well like that. And I'm sure the decisions on who to buy from are made at a corporate level, not store. Most do the best they can with what they've been given to work with

I have been very fortunate to have never bought sick fish. Some of them die, but I assume much of that is due to stress from transportation, but luckily none of them have had any illnesses. Knock on wood! :ermm:

From my experience, if there isn't anything wrong with parameters, neon tetras dying after being put into the tank usually has something to do with the quality of fish.

After cycling my first tank, I got 7 neon tetras and not a single one died. I got them from an lfs a half an hour's drive away, which quarantines all fish before selling.

After that, I tried to give a betta a few companions and made the mistake of buying them from PetSmart. They died a week later and took the betta with them (ich).

Back
Top Bottom