Why does my electric yellow cichlid have a gigantic abdomen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Cich Guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me why my electric yellow has a oversized abdomen. I got it at the fish store and it was eating normally everyday. But I went to an auction in Vancouver and friend took care of my fish. I was only gone 3 days and when i came back my Cichlid had a stomach as large as a pea. It's been 4 days now and i thought it would go away but it didnt. I asked my local fish stor about it and they said they didnt have an explanation for it so you guys are my last hope for figuring out what is wrong with my electric yellow. Please help me!!!!
Tank size:80 gal, set up one month ago
Food: Spinach, Cichlid pellets and galss worms
Length of time i have owned:2 weeks
other tank history: another 80 gal, 10 years
Fishes status: wont eat, swims in zig-zags, sinks to the bottom from time to time(probably beacause of the wieght of it's abdomen)

Yah it looks just like that. I know the site says that a stage 2 you cant really do anything about it but can you tell me anything? How to cure it? Is it contagious?

I don't think it is contagious but can't be totally positive. I would go ahead with treatment. I have been very lucky and have never had to treat it at all. I have heard good things about clout, but must stress to remove the fish and not treat the whole tank. Also epsom salts are a good addition, I recommend starting with 1/8 tsp per gal.

It's probably bloat. These fish are vegetarians for the most part and too much protien can cause them harm. There's regular bloat and then there's Malawi bloat, which involves bacterial infection (some sort of infection). If the fish shows any signs of wanting to eat, blanched peas will help. If there is a blockage and it's not caused by anything other than food and the fish doesn't pass it, there's nothing you can do for the fish.

Thanks for jumping in Menagerie. I've had no personal experience thank goodness with either illness. Good information to know just in case.

Back
Top Bottom