Why is my 10 gallon so cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 30 . I have 3 plants. Anacharis, frill, and green mondo grass. I have a peppered Cory, five guppies, and a sunburst Mickey mouse platy. My water has had a weird whitish color to it and is very cloudy. I do a pwc weekly and gravel vacuum the same. T is just so cloudy! Please help! I tested the water parameters a few days ago and they were fine. Ph 7.6, ammonia .25, ( idk if it's nitrite or nitrate but it's the bad one) was 2, the good one was 8.

What kind of substrate do you have? And how are you cleaning it? Plants can also play a part but it would be a brownish algae look not white.

Maybe post a picture ?
How long has the tank been set up for ?

If your tank is still showing ammonia and nitrites then you are not cycled, or over populated for the filter capacity. The cloudiness could be bacteria bloom if your tank is still cycling.

Only thing I could suggest is 50% water change to lower the ammonia and nitrites, this is pretty much neccessary seeing you have fish in in the tank, and maybe clear up the cloudiness.

It seems like your tank isn't cycled. How long has it been up and running? With nitrites ( the bad ones) at 2, and ammonia at .25 it tells me your still mid cycle. You need to do a PWC to get your nitrites to 0. With a 10 gallon that may require 2 50% PWC's. This may be the reason why your water is cloudy. The bacteria in the water need to stick to things in your tank (substrate, filter media, plants the tank walls). Before it does this the water is cloudy when your tank is fully cycled after a 50% PWC the water is usually crystal clear.

It's been running since last December. I think it's cycled but I don't know for sure. I didn't know about cycling when I first go it and I have had it so long I think it's probably cycled...

I have a 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 30 . I have 3 plants. Anacharis, frill, and green mondo grass. I have a peppered Cory, five guppies, and a sunburst Mickey mouse platy. My water has had a weird whitish color to it and is very cloudy. I do a pwc weekly and gravel vacuum the same. T is just so cloudy! Please help! I tested the water parameters a few days ago and they were fine. Ph 7.6, ammonia .25, ( idk if it's nitrite or nitrate but it's the bad one) was 2, the good one was 8.

Whitish cloudy water indicates a bacterial bloom, do daily PWC of 25-50% and it should clear up in a few days.

Did you just clean your filter out before the bloom? If so, clean the sponge, biomedia, etc only in tank water from a PWC. If you use tap water to clean them, you kill the bacteria and they have to regenerate, causing the bloom.

The filter body can be cleaned in tap water, with no ill effects.

Doing a pwc, do you use tap water? if so, do you use prime or other dechlorinator?
Did you do a pwc, gravel vac and change something in your filter at the same time (eg. sponge, charcoal and or bio material)?

I use tap water and prime but I only started doing it about a week ago. I used to buy gallons of spring and drinking water from the store.

I use tap water and prime but I only started doing it about a week ago. I used to buy gallons of spring and drinking water from the store.

Is that when you started getting the bloom? If so, it's because you're adding a lot of useful nutrients to your water column. do the daily PWC like I suggested and it'll go away.

What are you water parameters? Ammonia causes cloudiness as well.

I can't do pwcs every day cuz my aquarium is at my moms house and I have to go to my dads house half of the time, but maybe my mom can. I'm about to test the water

Back
Top Bottom