Why is my lion not eatin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brough5754

Aquarium Advice Freak
Been trying to feed him misis shrimp but he won't take it he ate one of my damsels before I put him in my buddy's tank

try giving him some live food? if that doesn't work try not feeding him and then feed him. he won't starve himself if food is being offered.

-Dylan

try that. do some experimenting and research.

-Dylan

try giving him some live food? if that doesn't work try not feeding him and then feed him. he won't starve himself if food is being offered.

-Dylan

that statement isnt entirely true. if he doesnt reconize mysis as food it wont eat it and will starve. little trick i used before is to get some smaller feeders and put them in a net with the live feeders when it all comes out at once the lion can be tricked and eventually will just eat the frozen stuff on its own

Never had a lion fish but I think mysis is too small to feed him. I would try somethink live. I`m thinking maybe krill or something much larger than mysis.

What type of lionfish do you have? Most hunt for food from dusk to dawn so you might try feeding him at night. The hardest part of these fish is getting them to except frozen food. They don't see frozen food as food, so they can starve to death. I have researched them and haven't decided if I can provide the proper care for the one I am looking at. I do know I will make sure it eats frozen food before I lay down my money. Most prefer shrimp to fish so if you are thinking about feeding them live food it will get rather expensive. Do not feed guppies or goldfish apparently they have problems swallowing them either the head or fins can get them problems. Most people don't feed them every day either every 2 to 3 days. Someday I might get myself a dwarf lionfish but not yet there is to much I have to learn first.

that statement isnt entirely true. if he doesnt reconize mysis as food it wont eat it and will starve. little trick i used before is to get some smaller feeders and put them in a net with the live feeders when it all comes out at once the lion can be tricked and eventually will just eat the frozen stuff on its own

Filing that tip away for now. Still researching if I can handle a lionfish myself yet.

they really are not that difficult before mine got struck by disease it was eating krill silversides whatever id try and feed him. what i do with silversides even when feeding them to my frogfish i take a syringe and inject them right full of mysis or krill crushed marine flake whatever ive got. sometimes it goes bad and they split but most of the time its alright

Wow. Good luck with your lionfish!! I had one and sadly, it didn't make it past a couple of months, because I couldn't get it to eat. Someone on here suggested I soak the food in Garlic something for fish, so I suppose you can find it in pet stores. I never tried it, so I'm not sure if it will work, but the garlic is supposed to attract the fish to food.

Back
Top Bottom