Why is my sand in my 10gallon tank so dirty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stone1269 said:
Hey where u get the sponge bob background lol my kids would love it they have an all sponge bob themed tank

Wall-Mart :)

I will be geting 10 guppies 1 apple snail and like 7 ghost shrimp Is this a good amount?

Get at least 10-15 ghost, 20 if you can afford it, there 20cent a piece here in kentucky
Shrimp have next to zero bioload, and there excellent cleaners, maybe even do 10-15ghost, 1 or 2 amano to curb the algae

paytertot said:
20 cents? Nice. Here in Missouri they're like 70 cents. Not that that's a lot anyways lol.

Holy cow!! We pay $.25 here and I think THAT'S too much. Course, ya can't put em in a cichlid tank anyway.

I suggest all male guppies or you will be overrun with fry, and ten ghost shrimp and 1 apple snail, do like 25% water changes every week, including a gravel vac :)

a.tetreault said:
I suggest all male guppies or you will be overrun with fry, and ten ghost shrimp and 1 apple snail, do like 25% water changes every week, including a gravel vac :)

I want to get some fry I just love the nature part of it all I think it's just beautiful watching nature do its thing:)

The thing is that while it's fun for awhile eventually you wont have any place for those fry since your tank will already be stocked with fish

Il trade them in for store credit the owner said he would take the fry I don't want to feed his fish:)

The owner will stop wanting the amount of fry your going to get.
You really should heed the warnings of people on this site, weve been there done that

hippy guy said:
The owner will stop wanting the amount of fry your going to get.
You really should heed the warnings of people on this site, weve been there done that

There food for his arowanas, oscarsgar, gar pikes And his cray fish some times

Yeah def need to rehome the cichlids and pleco because eventually they will be big enough to munch on your guppies. A common pleco will get up to 2 feet in some cases and depending on the cichlid could get up to 12-14 inches. Your tank is way overstocked and will cause the fish stress and they will become sick if they don't have enough room. Not to mention ur filtration system is most likely not even doing any good with that many fish in there. Plecos and cichlids produce a lot of waste. Don't know much about guppies but I woupd guess them to be a lot like goldfish. Which also produce a lot of waste.

Ryleyman said:
Il trade them in for store credit the owner said he would take the fry I don't want to feed his fish:)

You might be looking at $1 or $2 store credit. Guppies are cheap and can be found everywhere. You will need to run extra filtration to keep them all alive, after you get a couple batches of fry it will throw your bioload off.

Guppy rule if thumb is 1 male to 3 females to curb pestering. IMO get your bigger tank if you want to breed. For now do an all male guppy tank, with 1 snail and 10-15 shrimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom