Why is my tank easier to maintain than I read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't always available, but it's the first place to start. After that you're usually stuck trying to find someone with a pond to give them to :/

I'd say your tank stinks so bad with that amount of fish in it haha

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try locating a local fish store. Unlike the big box stores, they may take in "donations".
Or contact a local fish/pond club or aquarium society; they may have suggestions for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was pretty candid about tank size when I got them. I got them at one of the "big two" pet stores and was never told of an issue. Frankly, the posts on here have ranged from "common goldfish don't get bigger than a couple inches" to "you need at least 30 gallons for one goldfish. And not to mention that when I was in my early teens I definitely had won some goldfish at a fourth of july parade thing. And we all know the story there, kept in a one gallon bowl and dies in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the input, I'm still learning a lot, and obviously my tank is over stocked so I will find a way to correct the error. Preferably just give them back to a store, but I didn't even know that was an option???

Pet stores aren't typically going to tell you anything useful. Every poster on here is correct in telling you this is not a proper amount of fish. Its way overstocked.

1st, the post about one goldfish being in 20-30 gallons is spot on. They get big, very big. Most importantly even small goldfish are huge waste producers. They are small now but get bigger quickly in a healthy environment.

2nd I believe a filter is required on really any tank, especially 8 goldfish in a 5 gallon. This is very overstocked. Dangerously so.

For the well being of the fish I would return them until you can learn more. Specifically research the areas of bio load and the denitrification process. Cycling a tank, as well as the articles already linked in this thread. You can sort this out and get some enjoyment out of your 5 gallon but this current plan will end in dead fish. I would suggest one betta for your 5 gallon. Maybe a snail too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whatever you decide do not put them in your local pond, someone will come and get you

Why will they come get him haha

Yeah no goldfish in ponds either. Anyone else see the story about the 12 pound goldfish caught in I believe lake Tahoe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL. .12 pound goldfish? I need to see that haha

Back
Top Bottom