Why so hard to find FEMALE apistos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
all the LFS i try i have only males

i need 2 female Apistogramma cacatuoides and 2 female Apistogramma "what ever this guy is...".

img_755851_0_ccbf323c061aa893aa88fd4f8c481f8a.jpg

i want to start breeding both species and i have males...

Biology 101 lesson of the day... the production of babies needs a daddy AND a mommy!

Most female apistos are considered "drab and ugly"; therefore, the farms don't bother selling them (as there isn't enough interest from the wholesalers and stores). Also, some farms hold back females in order to keep hobbyists from breeding 'em-- the old "supply and demand" routine.

Checking with local breeders will not only give you better quality stock, but will also help you land some girls as well. ;)

yep, its just the same as cherry red shrimp.

Anyways, my LFS sells female Apistogramma cacatuoides, they are wild caught though... 50 bucks a pop. I tells me his are breeding, and once his are large enough to sell, he will selling them for 10 bucks each... i would be more than willing to send you some if you cover the costs. Thats if they will make it over the border.

WaterPond said:
yep, its just the same as cherry red shrimp.

Anyways, my LFS sells female Apistogramma cacatuoides, they are wild caught though... 50 bucks a pop. I tells me his are breeding, and once his are large enough to sell, he will selling them for 10 bucks each... i would be more than willing to send you some if you cover the costs. Thats if they will make it over the border.
maybe we can work out a deal... ;) how close are you to Lake Superior? i was planing a trip around the lake this summer LOL

I had pretty good luck with some breeders over at Aquabid. Usually, I just email a seller that has a pair for sale and adk for the sex of the fish I want. They are usually happy to accomodate me. I've order boy cacatuoides and girl trifasciata. Might be a problem getting them to Canada though. Wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

crazyred said:
I had pretty good luck with some breeders over at Aquabid. Usually, I just email a seller that has a pair for sale and adk for the sex of the fish I want. They are usually happy to accomodate me. I've order boy cacatuoides and girl trifasciata. Might be a problem getting them to Canada though. Wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)
i have though of that...maybe come spring... i am in minnesota, so winter is not a good time to ship fish... that being said i am still trying to track down an id on the above pictured male... i am now being led to believe he is a hybrid :?

from Cichlid-Forum.com
Fishboy20 said:
These are thought to be a hybrid between two species. Supposedly unable to breed, just recently someone has spawned them (look on Apistogramma.com). Females seem to be 1 in a 100. They certainly are closely related to the A. catei complex but it is hard to say what they really are.

~Jeremy Basch
ColumbusFishClub.org
AmazonCichlids.com

JDogg said:
i am in minnesota, so winter is not a good time to ship fish...

My bad....LOL I thought you were in Canada. You're right, winter is a bad time to ship fish to Minnesota!

JDogg said:
i am in minnesota, so winter is not a good time to ship fish...

Well, that would definitely be true were this a typical Minnesota winter.
I did figure out what happened to all our snow. Denver stole it. :)

Back
Top Bottom