Why so much floating in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed today there are a lot of "particles" floating around in my tank. Why is that? It's a 75 gallon with aquaclear 110 filter. Could it be from my fish stirring up the sand? Usually it only looks like this after a water change. From far away it's not so bad.. ( see pictures )

Attachments

• image-1183824921.jpg
    image-1183824921.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-425090747.jpg
    image-425090747.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 79
That's detritus, the best way to get rid of it is WC's and polyfill. The poly traps the smallest of particles and keeps your water very clear works great. You can get it at any fish store or just get the pillow filling from a craft store. Make sure there are no fire retardents in it or any other chemical though.

Thanks! I added some poly and it's clearing up a bit :)

Adding a second filter would be a good idea on a tank that size.

Yeah I thought about it Janis! Looking at prices and reviews I'm thinking about adding an aqueon 55/75 in the future

If you have room in your tank you could run an internal filter. I use a cascade 600 and it is only about 30$ on Amazon. I use the 600 in 3 tanks as secondary filters and am very pleased with it.

If you have room in your tank you could run an internal filter. I use a cascade 600 and it is only about 30$ on Amazon. I use the 600 in 3 tanks as secondary filters and am very pleased with it.

Never used an internal filter before. And I don't think I would have much room for it anyways... Do you prefer them?

Never used an internal filter before. And I don't think I would have much room for it anyways... Do you prefer them?

I love them! I use laminated glass on the top of my big tank so it is not feasible to put a HOB on my aquarium. All I have to do is run the cord through the access holes that I already have in the glass and we are good to go. The only thing is that they do take up room inside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom