Why to avoid cheap LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is really sad for the teacher to be honest. I can't imagine how she would like to bring a piece of ocean into the class room and end up like this. The sad part is that, the flood light is not even for aquarium uses. It is really just some people's idea about getting cheap LED lights off ebay for $50. I have been on 3reef and aginst it very strongly, but I guess some people will always "risk" it simply cuz it is a lot cheaper.

I think this post is unfair and to label Chinese LED's as a "whole" unsafe is wrong IMO.

First speaking from experience and knowledge in this field.

Leading cause of fires:
Cooking equipment

Then it's heating equipment followed by intentional.

Only 13 percent of structure related fires reported last year were electrical in nature.

Leading cause of fatal fires were smoking and then heating i.e. space heaters.

Not sure where I'm really going with this, only that I'm sure many many things factored into the determination of the cause and origin of that fire.

It's not as cut and dry as one may think.

Also when a fire is hard to determine or "believed" to be of a natural causes. Sometimes the CO team ( cause and origin ) will state electrical in nature or unknown BUT not suspicious.

Just a little knowledge on fires and real world statistics.

If we stopped using products on a whole because one caught on fire none of us would have stereo's, TV's, toasters, ovens, cars, ect...

Stuff happens, this could be one faluty light that was poorly assembled by some guy who was working a double shift or something, who knows!

I've personally set my house on fire 3 times and my wife still uses me...:lol:

The LED's in that article were 35w LED pendants. The one's most people here have been getting here are 120w panels. Not saying it can't happen with the panels, but they are totally different.

I was just wanting to post this story. I didn't mean to say ALL Chinese equipment is bad. I just thought I'd share the story with everyone.
I didn't think I would catch this much crap for it.

Take it down if everyone thinks I shouldn't have shared this. I was just trying to help out...

You need thicker skin. We are busting on the article and idea that the place that the bulk of our electronics comes from is suddenly bad. Not necessarily you. Group hug!
grouphug.gif

Thanks lol. I just thought all of those comments were directed at me. No hard feelings

Reactions: HN1
I agree with Mr. X. My response was just to inform on fires in general and what the causes are based on NFPA findings and reports. Wasn't bashing you. Sorry if it came off like that. More geared towards the media and article.

Take a moment and check the device your are viewing this site on....chances are, it's made in China..Most of the top electrical companies from the US and the Rest of the World use Chinese manufactured parts. That's why these products are affordable......

PS.. Jeremy S, I'm not having a pop at you, it's the Article, which was probably composed on a very popular tablet and we all know where they're made!!!

Back
Top Bottom