Why you shouldn't place poud fish in a 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok I have been cleaning this ladies tank for over 5yrs now and I got a call from here about a month ago telling me she had got a gold fish and wanted to know if she could place it in her commuitey tank. I told her no of crouse, gold fish are cold water fish and not to good with other fish. I asked her if she knew what kind he was. She told me a common gold fish. So I never thought or took a secound thought about it.
well she called me Sunday told me he was bck from vaction and asked if I could clean her gold fish tank and her 40g bow front again for her. I went to her house and cleaned the 40g then asked where the 10g gold fish tank was. She took me to a bedroom and i walk in and here's this hugh poud kio { not sure of spelling } Anyway. This poor fish was tking up 3/4s of the tank and could not turn around in the tank.
I was like what the :censor: and my :eek2: hit the floor. Now inthis picture I have him in a 5g bucket I use to chnges the water in my tank and as a hatchery for my Apsito eggs. I just couldn't beleave this thing was in a 10g tank and they told her it was a common gold fish!
eda1088e.jpg

Now there's a fish not meant for a 10g if ever I seen one!!!

People who want to keep common goldfish in the average aqaurium should have to take a look at this pic lol. They are definately meant for ponds.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised. We all know common misconceptions with goldfish happen all to much!

So the million dollar question... what in the sam hill are you gonna do with that thing?

LOL Yea he is now in 250g outdoor poud, the only fih in the poud is acouple of smaller one whitch he may end up eting. LOL But is that not the craziest thing, I've seen it we all have,. But just how stupid can some people get. LOL thanking it was ok in a 10g. man o man

Koi is pretty much a Carp in a nice colorful shirt =)

He sure is pretty. Hope he likes his new home! Once again, Weasel F. to the rescue!

This is a kio. The fish is just distorted in the bucket, When it's out of the bucket she has a flat belly and is much thiner and the skills re bigger then they look. I know it doesn't look like it but it is. It's just setting in the bow of the bottom of the bucket that throws the ture look off alot.

Ferret_Friend said:
n00b question... what's the difference between a goldfish and a koi?

Koi can grow a lot bigger than goldfish. I once caught a 20lb, 60cm koi in the lake.

A koi will have barbels. At this size, if she had it for only a month, its safe to say she bought the fish this big. A koi will not grow this big in a month, especially in poor water conditions. The dumb lady purposely bought the fish at the size it is, maybe an inch smaller, and put it in the tank. Sorry for calling her dumb, but to buy a large fish from the store for your 10g, that's just plain stupidity. Its obvious to see that it was too big to comfortably turn around in that tank from the second she brought it home.

I got a call from here about a month ago telling me she had got a gold fish

I am not sure that she only had it for a month. It sounds like she called him a month ago? Maybe I missed something....

I had one bigger than that named Jake, I had him in a 29 galon, I swear he tripled in size over night lol I ended up giving him to my aunt to put in her 125 and he ended up breaking his back while checkin out the tank, went head first into the tank wall at full speed

while goldfish (or in this case koi) are cold water, they are hardy enough to put in a tropical tank, and while its not ideal, it sure is better than having him live in a 10g tank

before i knew anything about goldfish, i used to have a water heater in mine, and they had that in their tank for awhile, and still lived to be 11 years old

seriously think how much of a living h*** it would be for a human to live in a closet, just put him in the 40g please

btw, how long is he?

ps what happened weasel, i was gone on vacation for a week, why are you a spammer?

I'm still convinced that goldfish are adaptable enough where the temperature isn't THAT much of an issue. I could be wrong though.

Gold fish will be fine in warm water as long as there is enough water surface area for good oxygenation .... After all, pond fish (golds & koi) don't die during heat waves. That is not to say they should live in the typical tropical tanks .....

Also, fancy golds like the temp steady in the mid 70's, so a heater is not that far fetched. I have one for the winter (it all depends on what temp your heater is set to! :) ).

Back
Top Bottom