Wierd Emperor Tetra predicament, need expert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racialfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so 4 months ago I bought fifteen emperor tetras, 9 males and 6 females. About 2 months ago I found fry, only like 5 and apparently the fish spawned in my 75 gallon planted the ph is about 7.7. So I saved the babies I could and put them in a 2.5 gallon and am raising them. Now I decided to try to spawn them in a separate breeder tank etc. So I used and old 10 gallon put in a spawning grate, java moss, a airstone and heater, the water i used is RO water with a ph of 6.5, I read they breed much better in acidic water. After separating the sexes and conditioning for a week, I added a full female and one of the younger males late in the afternoon. In the morning I saw the male sort of courting and chasing the female, later that afternoon I saw that the female was terrified of the male and wouldn't even follow him around like before so I thought I would have eggs but there was still none. So my questions are whether to leave them in the tank for another night, Should I use my tap water b/c they bred in that before? do you think maybe they did spawn but ate all the eggs that fast? I think the main problem is the females because the males are always trying to get them to follow them into the java moss and they don't seem to want to, I just can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom