Wierdest issue with Betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epsolon77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon community tank with some female betta's. About a week ago one of my old fish died. By old I mean close to 3 years. It looked like it had a hole in it's stomach with red stringie instead coming out. I figured someone got pissed at it, since I watch them pretty well.

Well not a second fish has the red stringie things hanging off in a cluster on her belly... She's still alive so I'm guessing it's not her guts. Any idea's? I'll try to post a pic later.

I could treat the tank with a little bit of salt, but I also have dojo loaches, black neon tetra's, otto's and angelfish in there.

It's called a calamus worm. Very bad news. If that is truly what it is, started feeding with Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite food and treat your tank with the Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite tabs. I had that crap break out in my betta tank and lost 5 bettas. The thought I had it cleared up, restocked the tank and it infected the new fish. But I caught it in time, did the treatment above, following the directions on both packages and haven't had an out break again.

Thanks that looks like it. I either just ran out of anit-parasite, or someone hid them cause I can't find them in my emergency kit... I've added a touch of salt and some malafix to hopefully bolster the fish's immune system and slow down the parasite. I just wish I new where the stuff came from.

Yeah, I have no idea where it comes from either, but it's a nasty bugger. It literally looked like the bettas stomachs were exploding worms. There would be like 6 or so of them hanging out. Get the food and the treatment as fast as you can. The food will help get rid of it from the inside and the tablets can help keep it from living once expelled from the body, or keep any eggs from hatching. Even then, it's an iffy thing. Those were the only 2 things I found that were suggested for treatment, and it worked the one time. Good luck

Thanks for the advice btw. I got the food from Jungle, and the powered from API because that was the best they had. Got a good dose in at 4 and they are already starting to respond. Btw you spelled it wrong. The spelling should be camallanus. Calamus is a herbal root, which took me a little to figure out. Anyway you had the right direction and treatment, that was the important part.

Turns out the little buggers are nematodes that are painfully slow to mature, and resistant to a ton of different treatments. The following link could prove an interesting read.
Camallanus Worms: An Aquariasts Worst Nightmare

Apperently the goods can take up to 4 weeks to start showing symptoms. It looks like the fist that died had them from the fish store and I got them back in Febuary! What a bugger. If this ravages my fish in that tank my whole family is going to be in tears. My 5 angels have been grown since they were dime size. Two of them are 3 years old. Even older than my daughter! Well, we'll do our best and hope.

Back
Top Bottom