Wife fell in love with fish. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my wife fell in love with these tiny fish at the LFS neons I believe. Tiny little blue red fish in a school of like 40 in a tank at the store. Well now she wants them. I have a Cichlid tank in the living room and I have a 29g bow front with stand in storage. She wants these fish. So my question is, how many can I put in that tank?

I already have a extra heater so all I'll need is a filter, some decor (probably fake plants), some rocks maybe,substrate and driftwood because I love the way it looks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Well been doing some research. If I'm reading correctly and if it's only those fish I keep it seems like 20-25 would work. Maybe some bottom feeders. Still in the research phase of this as the tank isn't even set up yet. Was just a thought.

29g would be plenty for a school o neon tetras. For bottom feeders you can do corydoras very cool easy going fish.

Neon Tetras? In the 29?

You could keep a large school of them, although I'm not to sure if the shape of the tank limits how many you can keep. Since it is a bowfront it doesn't have the same footprint as a normal 29.

You could also add in some kind of cory or smaller pleco.

picture_117 said:
Neon Tetras? In the 29?

You could keep a large school of them, although I'm not to sure if the shape of the tank limits how many you can keep. Since it is a bowfront it doesn't have the same footprint as a normal 29.

You could also add in some kind of cory or smaller pleco.

Yes that's them. Neon tetras and yeah a 29 bow front. Like I said it was just mentioned today after leaving the LFS she really liked them. I have the tank and stand just sitting in storage and I have a nice place for it in the bedroom corner.

So my wife fell in love with these tiny fish at the LFS neons I believe. Tiny little blue red fish in a school of like 40 in a tank at the store. Well now she wants them. I have a Cichlid tank in the living room and I have a 29g bow front with stand in storage. She wants these fish. So my question is, how many can I put in that tank?

I already have a extra heater so all I'll need is a filter, some decor (probably fake plants), some rocks maybe,substrate and driftwood because I love the way it looks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You can keep like 2 dozen in a 29 gallon, their bio-load is really small. They are nice looking fish, but let her know they are notorious for dying when introduced to a new tank. I've read there's been so much breeding that they've become weak and not better able to handle changing water parameters. Whatever the reason the first thing you'll notice is the red gets really pale, they may start to breath rapidly and usually by the next morning ... dead. Some attribute it to Neon Tetra Disease which I recommend she read up on. I bought 6 for my son about a week ago and I've lost 3.

Still ... I'm sure many members have them and are doing well. I'm certain once the tank is established and stable, they should prosper. You could also show her Cardinal Tetras which are very similar in look, just the read runs the entire length of the bottom.

Ya definitely recommend establishing the tank properly, after that smooth sailing. Just use seeded materials and you should have a beautiful neon tank in no time.

Also show her the different cories sterbai are very nice so are the emerald greens. Good luck.

Well from what I found a regular 29 gallon is 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4

A 20 high is 24 x 13 x 17, and a 29 bowfront is 24 x 15 x 21 give or take a few inches on the bowfront.

It is basically a taller 20 gallon high.

Wow the cardinals are gorgeous.

They are ... can't wait till the LFS I got the Neons and Rummies get them ... usually 6 for $10. On Sat night I went by my Petsmart and saw them on sale for $1.00 that ended Sunday ... Naturally they're were NONE in the tank:facepalm:. The week before they had 4 at their regular $3.29 price .. so I guess they dropped the price to get rid of those 4 ... they were in that tank for a few weeks at least.

Naw, there was a "winter kick off" sale at Petsmart that only last three days .... Alot of tetras were only $1.

Talvari said:
Naw, there was a "winter kick off" sale at Petsmart that only last three days .... Alot of tetras were only $1.

Oh man!! I missed it?! I think I'm gonna set up the tank tonight. I'm gonna go get the filter and just set it all up. And start the process.

Eh, they go on sale pretty frequently- almost once every three months. Now that it is "that time of the year"... Im sure there will be alot more sales on them. By the time you get the tank set up, running, and cycled properly... They probably will be on sale again!

Talvari said:
Eh, they go on sale pretty frequently- almost once every three months. Now that it is "that time of the year"... Im sure there will be alot more sales on them. By the time you get the tank set up, running, and cycled properly... They probably will be on sale again!

Just what I was thinking! Gives me plenty of time to cycle and get my tank established.

Figures my Petsmart would they'd kick of the $1.00 winter sale on fish they had the least in stock:facepalm:. I do recall seeing a few tetras on sale, and nearly every tank had a handful of fish in there, yet a few days before when I was in there, they had the same number of fish, so it's not like they got new inventory then threw the sale.

Ask at the lfs if they've been experiencing any "neon tetra disease". This is a fast spreading highly contagious disease and can wipe out not only your neons but any other fish in the tank.

Our lfs has a huge school of neons in an open top tank, it's gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom