Wife ordered the FX5!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks. I'm sure the LFS has them. Now I have to empty the canister and purge it before I do this right?

Bully405Customz said:
She was talking about using that instead of the polishing pads. This is.how mine is set up:
Top tray-prefilter
Middle tray-my carbon/ammonia remover and polishing pads
Bottom tray is all Bio media with polishing pads as well.

Ok thanks. I may do just do that. Pre filter? Something fluval carries?

EDIT:
Ok I see it now. Looks like bio media. That's what I'll do. Pre filter, carbon polishing pads and bio media again with polishing pads.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Ok thanks. I may do just do that. Pre filter? Something fluval carries?

EDIT:
Ok I see it now. Looks like bio media. That's what I'll do. Pre filter, carbon polishing pads and bio media again with polishing pads.

And that sounds perfect tto me man. Good luck and I'm sure you'll love it. Have you actually turned it on yet?

Bully405Customz said:
And that sounds perfect tto me man. Good luck and I'm sure you'll love it. Have you actually turned it on yet?

Yeah it's up and running. Just don't have it set up like you that's all.

Oh and by purge I mean doesn't it say to purge it or let the water out of the canister before removing basket. Also did I read the book correctly, you can do your water changes through the canister and not use the python? That's why they give you the extra valve.

I'm gonna call the company again but I swear that's what I read.

Last edited:
Bully405Customz said:
No you read right. I think I said something about earlier in the thread..

Oh ok my bad... That's awesome then!! So I just have to buy hose to fit and it's a go.

I actually just use the original output hose but mine is close enough to a window. But it takes maybe 45 minutes to do a 50% pwc on my 150 gal and that's refilled and everything.

Bully405Customz said:
I actually just use the original output hose but mine is close enough to a window. But it takes maybe 45 minutes to do a 50% pwc on my 150 gal and that's refilled and everything.

Maybe I'll just stick with the python. I have to go to the bathroom sink and a 50% on my 75 takes no more then 20 minutes. That's refill and all... Not close to a window.

Ok just set it up with the pre filter and polishing pads. Question, why did sooooo much water come pouring out?! I just the valves off like it said. I had a least a gallon all over. The wife WAS NOT HAPPY!!! :(

Also with this canister do you notice your water level drops quicker? I just added over a gallon to my tank which for me isn't normal.

Hey Convict, I have no direct experience with the FX5 but I thought a read a couple pages back that you would replace sponges every month... that is something that the companies tell you to do so you will spend more money on the products. Just squeeze the sponges out really well in a bucket of tank water, when they need cleaning. You won't have to replace them until they are falling apart. HN1 and I run some canisters with sponges that are over 5 years old.

severum mama said:
Hey Convict, I have no direct experience with the FX5 but I thought a read a couple pages back that you would replace sponges every month... that is something that the companies tell you to do so you will spend more money on the products. Just squeeze the sponges out really well in a bucket of tank water, when they need cleaning. You won't have to replace them until they are falling apart. HN1 and I run some canisters with sponges that are over 5 years old.

Ok I'll do that! I was gonna say this is gonna get expensive. And those polishing pads need replacement every 2-3 weeks?! I may not even use them after this go around.

Bully405Customz said:
Where did the water come out of?

I shut both valves off and opened the top and water spilled out all over. Almost like it came out of the canister itself. Like overflow. But it was a lot.

Oh yeah. You have to leave the lid on. That's why they put that drain valve on the bottom. I always disconnect the hoses then move the whole thing (lid on) to my tub and drain some out with that bottom valve then take the lid off

Bully405Customz said:
Oh yeah. You have to leave the lid on. That's why they put that drain valve on the bottom. I always disconnect the hoses then move the whole thing (lid on) to my tub and drain some out with that bottom valve then take the lid off

Well... I feel stupid cause that makes total sense!!! Now I know for next time.

Agree, we don't have any canisters as high-tech as the FX5, but you never want to open the canister until you get to the sink or bathtub. LOL. Just pull the hoses out and take the whole unit to the dumping destination. :)

Or you can get some of that clear 3/4" hose and connect it to that bottom valve and empty some into a bucket and it won't be so heavy.

If you do that don't forget to screw that little black sleve back over the hose

severum mama said:
Agree, we don't have any canisters as high-tech as the FX5, but you never want to open the canister until you get to the sink or bathtub. LOL. Just pull the hoses out and take the whole unit to the dumping destination. :)

Will do... I still feel stupid. Should have known. Instead I had the wide giving me the "stare" saying "are you kidding me?!"

Back
Top Bottom