Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I do. :D This comes from a 40+ career in the fish business. You meet a lot of people in that time. As for breeding kingpin...... I may need to take the second position on that. :whistle: See the above comment for who I give that crown to. ;) (y) I'll take the crown for leading the charge for better fish to be available in the stores. Ironically, the 2 friends I just visited both were saying that today's fish are nothing like what we used to have. They were bigger, brighter and in better condition back then. For example: Libby Bettas that barely fit in the bowls at the IBC conventions ( 1 friend was an IBC judge at one time) , HAHNEL Guppies that would make today's guppies look like feeder fish and swordtails that could eat today's swords for breakfast. :lol: The list is long and extensive. :( What we are seeing today are the results of creating all these new colors. Size was genetically sacrificed for the color lines. It will take decades of constant work to bring these old kinds of fish back if they can be brought back. Sadly, I doubt I will see it in my lifetime but I'm willing to lead the change. (y)

woah sounds like a bit of prodigy this guy, my neighbour that set me up with my first killis is the closest I know to breeding supremacy. Breeds over 15 different killis at a time plus his annuals, fancy guppies and cory strains. He does his best to just to keep killis alive here in australia, we don't have many species but he and the rest of his club are keeping enough out there to keep that section of the hobby alive. So completely understand what you mean about quality of fish and all, hopefully the more younger generations like me can take on and continue the standards out there.

woah sounds like a bit of prodigy this guy, my neighbour that set me up with my first killis is the closest I know to breeding supremacy. Breeds over 15 different killis at a time plus his annuals, fancy guppies and cory strains. He does his best to just to keep killis alive here in australia, we don't have many species but he and the rest of his club are keeping enough out there to keep that section of the hobby alive. So completely understand what you mean about quality of fish and all, hopefully the more younger generations like me can take on and continue the standards out there.

Hopefully. ;)
I see a difference in some of the people on this site since the time I first came here. More people willing to listen instead of leading the conversation with hearsay and false information. Many of the more advanced aquarists warned me about what was going on on the internet and had given up trying to change minds. I guess I am stubborn :brows: and want this hobby to live on after me, in a better light. The only way I know how to do that is to encourage people to do the right things, the right way and expose the lies and misinformation. I know what used to be, what is currently and what can be in the future. If your generation is willing to listen, there are others with the same information I have who are willing to teach it. (y) The tropical fish hobby can be a great one or a really frustrating one. Successes make it great, failures need to be learning experiences. A successful aquarist is just a successful scientist without a degree. ( IMO) I was one LONGGGGGGGGG before I could have gone to college. :D :lol:

So, spread the word. (y)

I wish my friend. Im so backed up on stock. With my biggest buyers store burning down, im backed up. To the gills, lol. Its friggin hard to sell quality fish!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish my friend. Im so backed up on stock. With my biggest buyers store burning down, im backed up. To the gills, lol. Its friggin hard to sell quality fish!

I sent you a list of stores. Did you contact any of them?
The only way to make money at breeding fish is to sell in volume which usually means more customers. :whistle: ( It's the "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" approach. ;) )(y)

Im not trying to make money. That seems to be a huge misconception with me. I just have had a tank for my whole life. My mom owns 50% in a small lfs. People in her town love the quality of fish i breed. But my scale is much larger than her small lfs can hold, lol. I just want quality fish out there. The way they were when i was a kid. Ive been doing this because i truly love it. Im sorry im an executive chef and not a retail guy. But that doesnt make what i say any less true.

Im going to contact them this week. Ive been bouncing between cities tryin to help my mom. So i havent had a chance. But im on it after today.

Im not trying to make money. That seems to be a huge misconception with me. I just have had a tank for my whole life. My mom owns 50% in a small lfs. People in her town love the quality of fish i breed. But my scale is much larger than her small lfs can hold, lol. I just want quality fish out there. The way they were when i was a kid. Ive been doing this because i truly love it. Im sorry im an executive chef and not a retail guy. But that doesnt make what i say any less true.

I understand and feel for the cause. ;) But put yourself in other's shoes. What if you didn't have the other income coming in and your whole income was dependent on your fish sales? Does that make you money hungry? ;)

I caught my new plecos inside their new pipe tonight. Both were in there so maybe.... just maybe....:D :brows:
The rest of the fish are still in their QT tank so I need to get more tanks going. That's tomorrow's agenda. ;)

You sir have MTS to the max lol hope your enjoying the new fish

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You sir have MTS to the max lol hope your enjoying the new fish

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I do. It's in the blood. :lol: Honestly, it's worse than crack!!!!:eek: ( not that I have tried crack first hand :nono: just from the stories ;) ) However, if I needed an addiction, fish keeping is by far a safer one to have. And look where it lead me :D:D (y)

I caught my new plecos inside their new pipe tonight. Both were in there so maybe.... just maybe....:D :brows:
The rest of the fish are still in their QT tank so I need to get more tanks going. That's tomorrow's agenda. ;)

Might need to start another wigglers thread to keep things straight. Guess what I found this morning? Mr pleco was in the tube, Mrs pleco was in the back of the tank and there was a glob of eggs right at the front just outside the tube. I told my buddy about this today and he flipped. He thought they would need 2-3 weeks to adjust. They did it in 3 days :D
Including tonight, I currently have 17 spawns I am working since my return home on May 8th. I ran out of tanks because I had to break down some temporary tanks that were holding some adults. I needed to use some 10 gals. Now, I have 3 spawns in 1 one tank ( 2 in jars and 1 in the tank) and a large spawn in both 2 1/2 gal tanks I have. This is not good. The new rack HAS to get built tomorrow. :facepalm:
Today, I got a closer look at some of the first fry from the Red cap/ GM pair. Looks like I have some with red and black on the bodies. Once I see how many like this I have, then I will decide what to do about switching the males. Took some pics but don't know how clear they are until I upload them. If they are any good, I'll post them. (y)

Might need to start another wigglers thread to keep things straight. Guess what I found this morning? Mr pleco was in the tube, Mrs pleco was in the back of the tank and there was a glob of eggs right at the front just outside the tube. I told my buddy about this today and he flipped. He thought they would need 2-3 weeks to adjust. They did it in 3 days :D
Including tonight, I currently have 17 spawns I am working since my return home on May 8th. I ran out of tanks because I had to break down some temporary tanks that were holding some adults. I needed to use some 10 gals. Now, I have 3 spawns in 1 one tank ( 2 in jars and 1 in the tank) and a large spawn in both 2 1/2 gal tanks I have. This is not good. The new rack HAS to get built tomorrow. :facepalm:
Today, I got a closer look at some of the first fry from the Red cap/ GM pair. Looks like I have some with red and black on the bodies. Once I see how many like this I have, then I will decide what to do about switching the males. Took some pics but don't know how clear they are until I upload them. If they are any good, I'll post them. (y)

Congratulations on your new spawn! ?I know you must be so excited.? can't wait to see the pictures.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As with anything new, there is a learning curve. I came in this morning to find the male pleco out of the tube and the glob of eggs are now mostly clear. I still count about 12 orange eggs and pushed them back towards the tube so hopefully something will still come of them. Here's the pic of them yesterday.
The tank is dirty with pleco poo which I was intending on cleaning out the day I saw the eggs. maybe that was the reason they didn't survive? Who knows at this point. I figure that once they get used to the routine of my water changes, maybe they will have better success with cleaner water. We'll see ;)

Attachments

• 1st Pleco Eggs.jpg
    1st Pleco Eggs.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 61
Here's a pic of the Red cap spawn and the new fish. Unfortunately, all I could see when I enlarged the picture of the fry was that the fronts of my tanks are very dirty. :lol: I still see some with what looks like Red so I just need to wait and see as they grow.
I'll be setting up some more tanks today for the cories to use for spawning and hopefully enough tanks for the other Angels as well.

Attachments

• Red cap fry.jpg
    Red cap fry.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 63
  • New Fish 6-2015.jpg
    New Fish 6-2015.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 62
While these pics look like a nice thing to have happen, in my system, this is a sign of an impending nightmare. :eek: This shows that I have 5 tanks that are being used for the wrong things so these eggs had no place to go. :nono: Moving fry is not as easy as moving eggs and since I won't have tanks ready for the other fish by the time these eggs hatch, I am risking 4 spawns which is $$$ I shouldn't be risking. :(
I need to get the place finished A.S.A.P. if I am going to be successful at keeping fish in great shape. There's a lesson in this for those who want to breed fish: Have A LOT of tanks!!!!! No 2 ways around it. :nono:

Attachments

• 2.5 tank 2.jpg
    2.5 tank 2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.5 tank 1.jpg
    2.5 tank 1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 3 spawns in a tank.jpg
    3 spawns in a tank.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 62
As with anything new, there is a learning curve. I came in this morning to find the male pleco out of the tube and the glob of eggs are now mostly clear. I still count about 12 orange eggs and pushed them back towards the tube so hopefully something will still come of them. Here's the pic of them yesterday.
The tank is dirty with pleco poo which I was intending on cleaning out the day I saw the eggs. maybe that was the reason they didn't survive? Who knows at this point. I figure that once they get used to the routine of my water changes, maybe they will have better success with cleaner water. We'll see ;)

Awe!? sorry to hear that Andy. Maybe it was the move and the new environment. Like you said who knows! I hope you get some baby pleco's next time.☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

While these pics look like a nice thing to have happen, in my system, this is a sign of an impending nightmare. :eek: This shows that I have 5 tanks that are being used for the wrong things so these eggs had no place to go. :nono: Moving fry is not as easy as moving eggs and since I won't have tanks ready for the other fish by the time these eggs hatch, I am risking 4 spawns which is $$$ I shouldn't be risking. :(
I need to get the place finished A.S.A.P. if I am going to be successful at keeping fish in great shape. There's a lesson in this for those who want to breed fish: Have A LOT of tanks!!!!! No 2 ways around it. :nono:

I have seen this before!
It is even harder then normal.:ermm:
But it is either let them go ..or do the best you can(which usually means less then what we know is needed.):confused:
You know better then me and the acceptance; we don't get to keep them all,but isn't a few better then none?:angel:
As dust specs it is so hard for me know or say "you are the one".:whistle:
They announce themselves ,only if you let them:facepalm: .
Good work my friend(now get those other tanks going !)(y)

Back
Top Bottom