Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I haven't kept up with this thread in a while. But I have my 56 up and running again and I want angelfish! There are some nice ones at my lfs right now but I simply don't know what I want. I would love to breed them again. Anyone here have any stock they are trying to sell? I trust you guys more than I do even my most trusted lfs when it comes to healthy fish.

My Koi Angel has laid eggs on my filter outtake tube. What are the chances of having viable fry if I don t intervene? Tank mates are 6 Zebra loaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I think I may be joining the group here soon! I was on awhile back when I had a pair that was laying but the male was an egg eater 10 spawns ate everyone. He would follow the female right up the side sometimes even bit her breeding tube so I seperated them. On sunday I got a new male and put him in my 45 hex angel tank and they spawned last night eggs wete fertile as of this morning and saw a few left this afternoon by 5 they were gone all the other angels were eating them :( the poor pair were fending them off the best they could but my plan was to let the new male pick his gal so it worked out they are now in their own 20 gallon :D I plan on letting them raise them as I jave limited tank space since all tanks must stay in my room atm and I would like them to spawn slower so far its going well cant wait to see how their babys turn out!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest you use a larger tank if you are going to have the parents raise the fry as an Angel spawn can have hundreds of surviving fry. If possible, go with a longer, larger tank for this. The longer the better ;)

Hi Andy. It's been awhile since my last post. I've been following but since I'm not breeding at this time I don't have much to say. I've basically shut my room down to renovate it but unfortunately my work has kept me from completing it. Anyway what tanks I do have running are all fed by a Gast regenerative blower. A bit over kill but it leaves me open for a lot of possibilities plus I got a good deal on it. Since it does cause a certain amount of friction with the air moving the air gets hot which also helps with warming up the tanks. I picked up an inverter/charger that keeps a charge on a 12v battery and when the power goes out it switches to the battery thus keeping the blower running. My current battery will keep it running for 21hours by my calculations. I myself have thought of having a linear pump as a back up as well.

Cheers, Ray

Thanks for the input, Ray. Glad to see you are still with us. (y)
I really don;t want anything that throws that much heat as the whole place will be climate controlled. The inverter charger sounds like a good idea to look in to tho. (y)

I hope you get that room finished and those fish working soon. There is still a need for good fish out there ya know. ;)
I look forward to your next post with all those fish fry :D

My Koi Angel has laid eggs on my filter outtake tube. What are the chances of having viable fry if I don t intervene? Tank mates are 6 Zebra loaches.

Your chances are 50/50. Either you will or you won't.
Here's what's working against you: With an external filter, it's possible that the sperm was not given enough time to fertilize the eggs before being sucked up into the filter.
Here's what's working for you: The loachs should be less of a threat to the eggs being up high (but there's no guarantee that they won;t get the eggs at night if the parents are sleeping. )
Keep in mind that if the eggs turn white, they are not viable so the parents should be removing these dead eggs from the rest of the good ones. Don't confuse that with the loachs eating them.
What's recommended is to use an internal, air driven sponge filter for breeding fish. This way you have all the biological you need and no water being removed from the tank to go through a filter thereby disrupting the spawning. Plus, there is no danger to the fry of being sucked into the filter either.
Good luck and keep us posted (y)

So viable eggs are clear?
I have a 10 gal I could set up. Figured I could just remove the filter tube with the eggs still attached, just happen to be putting a new canister on that tank today. I only have a HOB to use, but I have foam to put around the filter intake.

Thanks for the input, Ray. Glad to see you are still with us. (y)

I really don;t want anything that throws that much heat as the whole place will be climate controlled. The inverter charger sounds like a good idea to look in to tho. (y)

I hope you get that room finished and those fish working soon. There is still a need for good fish out there ya know. ;)

I look forward to your next post with all those fish fry :D

The blower doesn't pump out that much heat. Just enough to keep the water temp from dropping to fast during a power outage. I'm really looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I'm off from work so I'll be able to get the room done and get back to breeding. I'll post pics of my new black marble veils

Sent from my iPad

I still use hobs on all my breeder tanks but i use long 12-18in tiles and remove them and put them in their own 5.5 to 10 gallon tank with air and heat an meth blue. Ive raised my heat from 80-82 to 84-86 degrees. It has helped with the hatch rate and made stronger babies. Id love to have parent raised babies but i have notoriously bad egg eaters. It has taken a long rime to get to where i am. Theres alot of trial and error.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So viable eggs are clear?
I have a 10 gal I could set up. Figured I could just remove the filter tube with the eggs still attached, just happen to be putting a new canister on that tank today. I only have a HOB to use, but I have foam to put around the filter intake.

The eggs need water movement over them more than filtration. I use everything from a tank to a glass jar to hatch out eggs. Just need stable temp and an air stone to hatch eggs. You can see a diagram of a typical egg hatching set up here ( The eggs should be on the side with the bubbles blowing in front of them): Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Instruction charts - Picture

Here's a pic of it in action: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Instruction charts - Picture

Hope this helps (y)

Will keep the info for future. They ate all if the eggs :(

Will keep the info for future. They ate all if the eggs :(

One thing about Angelfish is that they usually give you plenty of chances to get it right. ;) I suggest adding a sponge filter to the tank now and once established, stop using the canister OR move the pair into the 10 ( or a larger tank if available) with the established sponge filter. This will increase your chances of a successful spawn.
You also want to give them a better place to spawn on than the filter tube. You can use a clay/ terra cotta pot, PVC piping, breeding cones or slate pieces. Anything really that's long, tall or big enough to support the eggs just not the filter tubes. (y)

Will do. Need to call my LFS & see if they ll buy the babies. I have a 75 gal in the garage that I ve been looking for a excuse to set up. I could put the Angels in there to spawn & then leave the eggs on the slate & put the Angels back in the 50 with the loaches.
One thing tho, one of the Angels has part of it s gill plates missing. Is that a reason not to breed them?

Will do. Need to call my LFS & see if they ll buy the babies. I have a 75 gal in the garage that I ve been looking for a excuse to set up. I could put the Angels in there to spawn & then leave the eggs on the slate & put the Angels back in the 50 with the loaches.
One thing tho, one of the Angels has part of it s gill plates missing. Is that a reason not to breed them?

I would suggest you find a place for the breeders and not move them around. You could use the 75 to grow out the spawn and the 10 gal to hatch out the eggs. Just a suggestion as that's what I use to do mine. :brows:
A missing gill plate is not a desirable trait but what I would do, if I were you, is raise out a spawn and see if that trait follows down to the fry. If it does, I would suggest not breeding that fish again. Same with bent finned fish. if it carries forward, it's a bad gene to hold on to and pass along. :nono:

So out of the 7 angels we adopted from petco earlier this month we knew we had a pair. A standard silver and a standard pearlscale silver the laid on friday and now we had a new pair form. A veil gold and a panda koi marble idk what to call it. I imagine its the first time ever for both laying eggs. I also had a old 20g tall loose its seal that was housing a pair and thankfully i got to them before they passed and they seem to be doing ok. Its crazy how a 20g tall will empty out over night.

So out of the 7 angels we adopted from petco earlier this month we knew we had a pair. A standard silver and a standard pearlscale silver the laid on friday and now we had a new pair form. A veil gold and a panda koi marble idk what to call it. I imagine its the first time ever for both laying eggs. I also had a old 20g tall loose its seal that was housing a pair and thankfully i got to them before they passed and they seem to be doing ok. Its crazy how a 20g tall will empty out over night.

You're lucky you had overnight. I had a 55 gal develop a slow (??) leak when I left for school one morning and it was down to an inch of water ( barely keeping the fish in there alive) by the time I got home from school. Biggest lesson: homemade bookshelves are not good tank stands for larger tanks :brows: and never, NEVER keep books near your tanks.:facepalm: I also lost about 10 good fish books from that same leak. :( Oh, and also, when you open the front door and the carpet squishes, find a way to blame the dog!!! :D lol

I thought my 56 sprung a leak once.. serious panic mode! But it was just the filter causing it. I did have a 20L leak out almost entirely in about a day once though. Not fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can say it is an older tank i got for free so its not bad its been running for 2 years so i cant complain just got lucky. Its been leaking enough to rust the stand a little.

I just recently set up a 10 gallon with multies tank leaked out in a matter of hours only 1/2 inch of water left luckily everyone was alive, but I freaked out my parents weren't to happy either as 10 gallons of water leaking down from the second floor can do some major damage... oops

Here's my new pair and breeding tank (20 tall) what do you guys think?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409543796433.jpg
    1409543796433.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 1409543808315.jpg
    1409543808315.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1409543821706.jpg
    1409543821706.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 1409543836067.jpg