Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, so... my wigglers started "wiggling" last Friday night and they're STILL wiggling. I thought they would start free swimming by now! There seems to be less wigglers than there originally were, I think some of them are dying for some reason. The Dad is picking up some of the fallers with his mouth and spitting them back out on the leaf. That's where the wigglers are right now, on the leaf of a huge fake plant... I'm waiting til they start free swimming until I move them to their own tank. I'd do it now but I'm not sure how to safely do that, if I could turkey baster them while they're wiggling on the leaf or... just wait.:ermm: I'm not sure why it's taking almost a week now for them to become free swimmers, I thought it was supposed to be 3-5 days!

Sheesh. Doesn't look like this spawn will make it!:nono:

All right, so... my wigglers started "wiggling" last Friday night and they're STILL wiggling. I thought they would start free swimming by now! There seems to be less wigglers than there originally were, I think some of them are dying for some reason. The Dad is picking up some of the fallers with his mouth and spitting them back out on the leaf. That's where the wigglers are right now, on the leaf of a huge fake plant... I'm waiting til they start free swimming until I move them to their own tank. I'd do it now but I'm not sure how to safely do that, if I could turkey baster them while they're wiggling on the leaf or... just wait.:ermm: I'm not sure why it's taking almost a week now for them to become free swimmers, I thought it was supposed to be 3-5 days!

Sheesh. Doesn't look like this spawn will make it!:nono:
Many of us are finding the fry are taking about 5-7 days to start free swimming once they've hatched so you are still in line. Wild fish were free swimming in 3 days. Goes to show you what happens when you remove so much of the wild genes.

If you go back to page 257 and look at post # 2564, I explain how to move the fry. A turkey baster is NOT the right piece of equipment for this.
Here's a couple of suggestions: if you have a container or a plastic bag large enough to hold the plant where the fry are, submerge it in the tank and you can put the plant into the container/bag and move the fry that way now. You can also take a siphon hose and try to get them out that way. The longer they stay with the parents, the greater the odds that they will disappear as the parents will move them constantly. This is why it's better to move the eggs before they hatch. the parents won;t move eggs, just fry.
You can also just take your chances and fill another tank with the water from your Angels then just pull the plant and put it in the new tank. I was stripping down a tank with a pair in it which had a plastic plant in the tank as well. Since the tank is outside, it got full of algae so I just decided to strip it down entirely not knowing the fish had spawned in there about 3 or 4 days before. For this I just drained some water into a bucket. I put the pair, their sponge filter and the plastic plant and java moss into the bucket and then stripped the tank clear of all the algae. Once done with that, I then had to reacclimate the pair back to their tank as this was all new water. Once done, I put the pair , the filter, plants, etc back into the tank. I noticed the fish were paying extra attention to the plastic cabomba plant so I got my magnifying glass to look closer at it. Sure enough, there was a whole bunch of wigglers on those leaves. So they survived even with me doing nothing more than pulling the plant and sticking it in the bucket. So you don;t have to acclimate the fry, I'd suggest , if you do this, to just use the water they are in now.

Hope this helps (y)

Yeah, my only problem is that the fake plant is so big that I'll have trouble removing it from the tank and keeping it submerged in water the whole time. If only it was smaller then I'd have no problem

Okay. I need HELP. I took the wigglers out of the big tank and transferred them into the 10 gallon. That went great. The only problem is the 10 gallon was so big and the fry were so microscopic I couldn't tell where any of them were! So I put them in a small glass jar, and I have no idea what to do next. I can't just leave them in the jar!:facepalm:

And they weren't free swimming when I moved them, but now that they're in the jar by themselves they're still wiggling, just all congregating at the bottom of the jar. I know I put a bunch in the jar and when I look in it looks like I have none! :lol:

And they weren't free swimming when I moved them, but now that they're in the jar by themselves they're still wiggling, just all congregating at the bottom of the jar. I know I put a bunch in the jar and when I look in it looks like I have none! :lol:

If it were me, I would just put them in the 10 gal with a heater, an airstone or sponge filter and just let them be. You don;t need to see them while they are wiggling. You will see them plenty once they start swimming. :D Once they start swimming, you will have a day to get some food appropriate for them. My suggestion is either frozen, decapsulated or newly hatched baby brine shrimp. And NO, chopping up frozen adult brine shrimp is not the same as baby brine shrimp in the way of nutrition. ;) Newly hatched brine shrimp still have some yolk that is helpful for the fry's growth. Adult brine shrimp is basically water and roughage with little nutritional value.
The reason you will have a day is because once they do become free swimming, they can live off the the benefits of the yolk sac they just absorbed. There's your day. They will need to be fed from that point on. (y)

Congrats on getting this far. The fun is just starting :D :blink: (y)

My pair spawned! Super excited they've removed the very few white eggs there were and are no happily looking after the eggs. My female looks so proud this will be her first spawn in a breeding tank with this male. The spawned a little over a week ago in the community tank the eggs didn't last very long. Before that the male was an AWFUL egg eater my female always came out looking awful after a spawn from trying to fight him off so iseparated them

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats. Now you can see what a difference there is in the fish when they are by themselves to breed vs in a community tank. It's like night and day, isn't it? ;)

Yes very it just took me awhile to get everything I needed and to sort out room to set one up. I had no doubt it would make a huge difference

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It took me a lot of time and patuence and head banging to figure it all out. Seperate the eggs asap and put in a their own tank. These are 3 maybe 4 week old babies. They are from a pair of blue silvers. I seperated the spawn already to 2 seperate 10s because there was 150 175 babies. Im using micro worms golden pearls and bbs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410057638716.jpg
    1410057638716.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 43
Getting caught back up on this thread.

I need to post some good pics of my little "gold cap" pair. I also need to look back to the thread from when I got them to try to guesstimate their age.

One thing I can say without a doubt. The blushing and gold cap ones I have do not grow nearly as fast as the "standard" pair I have.

I've been spending a lot of time toying around with food mixes for optimum growth. All my fish are currently being feed deacap brine shrimp/spirinula powder mix and the growth is really there. I'm going to be adding a high protein/fat flake next week.

Thanks again to everyone who made this thread what it is. I've learned so much and sure have gained a lot of knowledge and patience.

Few pics of them from just now

OaLKy6A.jpg

sg9uJcf.jpg

they love playing in the current from the filter. I've got a sponge filter seeding in there as well.

This is by far the best, most helpful, informative, and well communicated and explained thread I've read since I joined this site a few months ago. I have 2 community tanks, each holing a pair of angels and after reading all 2500+ posts and comments, I have a major interest in trying to see if I can get my angels to spawn and have success. Here are my pairs, the marble is actually a cobalt blue, the little ones are both koi angels. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410101634.912371.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410101664.653673.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410101761.005177.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410101789.220463.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey andy i have i have a pair whose eggs are turning blue in the meth blue. They are clear for 2 days then go blue. Is my meth blue old or an i just adding to much?

Hey andy i have i have a pair whose eggs are turning blue in the meth blue. They are clear for 2 days then go blue. Is my meth blue old or an i just adding to much?

You are probably using too much. The only time I have had eggs turn blue from the M blue was when they were dead and had turned white first then soaked up the blue. Considering that it's the shells ( and probably not the embryos) getting stained and assuming the eggs are still viable, I would just stick some carbon in there to absorb some of it out and see if the eggs hatch before removing the rest of the Blue.
It's nearly impossible ( based on manufacturer's comments) to overdose M. Blue that it is detrimental so no panics there. (y)

I read somewhere that if you put the fry in a 10 gal and fill it up all the way, they'll tire themselves out swimming all over the tank especially when they're trying to get to food. So paranoid, I put the babies in a breeder box that floats in the 10 gal. What an AWFUL little contraption! :lol: The breeder box is just terrible. The fry can swim through those slits on the bottom, so there's no point. They are fine in the tank, aren't they? I have brine shrimp hatching (I was using strained egg yolk for the past couple days) so I'm sure they'll be able to find and their food and not get "tired out" in the tank ..:ermm: Right? :fish2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom