Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wigglers are my second batch, and easily 10 times as many as the first one... so many babies!!! I was super nervous about feeding the first batch, but they are thriving so far so i must be doing something right!!! I was wondering tho... would decapsulated BS eggs also work?? And when/ how can i introduce fry food??? I have the powder type...

No... just needs double reinforced hurricane corners.... my dad just helped me finish my deck and i dont think an earthquake should shake it loose!!!

No... just needs double reinforced hurricane corners.... my dad just helped me finish my deck and i dont think an earthquake should shake it loose!!!

You guys obviously never lived in FL. :lol:
Concrete buildings imploded during Hurricane Andrew. ( Yes, I know, my namesake :D)

Decks and fences in my neighborhood blew away during Hurricane Wilma.

My "shed" ( I converted my old monkey house to a workshop) suffered no damage during Wilma. It was made of block and wood. :whistle:
You guys are fired! lol :ROFLMAO:

So... lots of babies!!! After i take this spawn out i may move the female out til after i get back from colorado in mid august... and move my little black in with the male as the other 2 girls take turns picking on it while they get ready to lay eggs... i think its from the same parents as my silver females, but its a black zebra so slow growing... any input on this idea??

Oh!! I took pics...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130705_134552.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130705_134552.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20130705_134630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130705_134630.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 39
So... lots of babies!!! After i take this spawn out i may move the female out til after i get back from colorado in mid august... and move my little black in with the male as the other 2 girls take turns picking on it while they get ready to lay eggs... i think its from the same parents as my silver females, but its a black zebra so slow growing... any input on this idea??

Here's my input :brows: Don't do that. Leave the pair alone or if you don't want them spawning while you are gone, put a divider in the tank and 1 fish on each side. Putting other fish in with the male does not preclude him from beating them up just because the female isn't there. If she lays with out him fertilizing, the eggs will just not hatch and will get eaten. A much better scenario in my book.

Ok. The tank is a standard 55g that i divided for the pair to have one side, and my other girls are on the other... i was just going 2 put the female back on the other side so that during my trip the house sitter didnt have 2 deal with every other day water changes and feeding babies as he will already have 3 cats, 6 kittens, gerbils and a chinchilla and feeding all the tanks... so i was going to split the pair until after we got back after this spawn...

Ok. The tank is a standard 55g that i divided for the pair to have one side, and my other girls are on the other... i was just going 2 put the female back on the other side so that during my trip the house sitter didnt have 2 deal with every other day water changes and feeding babies as he will already have 3 cats, 6 kittens, gerbils and a chinchilla and feeding all the tanks... so i was going to split the pair until after we got back after this spawn...

OK, This might sound cruel but what I would do in this instance is let the pair spawn ( if they do) and have your house sitter remove the spawning site with the eggs and just clean it off so that any dying fry wouldn't decay the water. You sacrafice the spawn so that they don't stop spawning while keeping the pair together. You don't let them eat their own eggs as this can create a continual situation of egg eating (which you don't want.) Moving either of the pair to be with the other fish doesn't necessarily protect the other fish.

That's how I would handle it. (y)

Its not the eggs im worried about... they are spawning every 14ish days and so by them i will have tons more babies to care for, whereas if i stop the spawns for a bit now the fry i have now should be on flakes by then...

Its not the eggs im worried about... they are spawning every 14ish days and so by them i will have tons more babies to care for, whereas if i stop the spawns for a bit now the fry i have now should be on flakes by then...

No you won't have more babies by then if you destroy the spawns. Just let them spawn as usual but remove the eggs so that they can't hatch. If you will gone for 2 cycles, have the house sitter replace the spawning site once it's cleaned off each time. You will have no more babies than you would have if you separated the fish ( again, something I don't recommend doing.) Once you return, then you can continue trying to raise the new spawns as if nothing had happened. The fish will be none the wiser and your sitter won't be overwhelmed. (y)

Update: no sign of any fry today :-( think mom&dad have eaten them :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom