Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to get a laptop and keep extensive records. If anyone has a good record system i could model mine after and don't mind sharing ideas i would be greatful. Also my name is andrew in case some are interested.:whistle::whistle:

I am planning to get a laptop and keep extensive records. If anyone has a good record system i could model mine after and don't mind sharing ideas i would be greatful. Also my name is andrew in case some are interested.:whistle::whistle:

Hi Me :lol:(Other Andrew ;))
Welcome to the thread :D
I hope you found the read interesting and informative as it contains over 40 years of success tips to breeding these wonderful fish.
As for records, I keep a cheap notebook. NOT A COMPUTER because if the drive fails, the notes are lost. I get the notebooks from Staples or Office Depot, Office Max whoever has them for under $1.00 each ( usually around go back to school days.)
Smart idea to wait on starting until after your move. (y) Just be careful with all that water if you are not on the ground floor of your building. At just under 8 lbs per gallon, even a 10 gal tank set up will weigh about 90-100 lbs with tank and stand.

Keep us posted with your progress (y)

Got home from my gram's today. The eggs in the jar, which got no meds cause none are meth. blue, were wigglers. There were a lot of the fungused eggs, but also a few living wigglers. So I sucked the wigglers and blew them at the gold/gold marble's wall of wigglers. They picked up the ones that didn't stick and spit them into the other wigglers. So hopefully they will continue being awesome parents. Gonna make a pot for a plant so I can give them a real plant in their tank.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finaly fell asleep today watching my 10gal community tank thank god. sonow I'm pumped. and of course canr wait to move so i can start srtup for breeding. oh and get fish. do you think 500 dollars is enough to start?:dance::dance::dance::ermm:

Finaly fell asleep today watching my 10gal community tank thank god. sonow I'm pumped. and of course canr wait to move so i can start srtup for breeding. oh and get fish. do you think 500 dollars is enough to start?:dance::dance::dance::ermm:

Spent wisely it can be. I suggest buying tanks when Petco has it's $! per gallon sale.

Do you plan to purchase a proven breeding pair or grow out some juveniles and allow them to pair off?

Was planning on growing out some juveniles. i can probably spend up to 700 at max.

Well, I suggest getting a 55 for them to grow up and pair off in. You can then get a 20H for each pair. Then some 10's for the fry.

As mentioned by Andy you really need 4 tanks for each pair. He can expound on it better than I.

I'll give you a few tips from my screw ups and experience.

1. Just use sponge filters
2. Bare bottom tanks
3. Buy good heaters
4. Buy a good air pump
5. Dr. FosterSmith has the cheapest stands
6. 5.00 clip on lights work just fine

I can think of some more I'm sure

You did good by reading the whole thread. Only other thing I would say is be patient and plan

Was planning on sponges and bare bottom tanks. heard hydra line of filters is good. was gonna use gorrilla racks.

I've used a bunch of different sponge filters. I've found deep blue to be the best. I would just buy their replacement sponge and make the rest from PVC like Andy posted.

Gorilla racks look pretty good. I might pick one of those up myself, thanks for the lead.

Other thing I'd recomend is putting some potted plants in the tanks to de stress the fish. I also saw a video of Segrest fish farm where they just use black torn up trash bags for that. Meh, I prefer plants.

Everyone kind of has their own way of doing things. I try to follow Andy Sagar's advice as he's been doin it a long time and knows the ins and outs.

Yeah ill probably use some artificial plants don't want to mess with growing feal ones. you're right about listening to andy looks like he eeally knows his stuff .

I have 2 breeding pairs right now. What kinds of angels are you looking to breed??? I also have a guest ion for Andy and Bob tho... my big male I sow past his prime as spawns are having less and less fertile eggs from him, which he has noticed and has turned him into an egg eater. What would you suggest I do?? Would he be OK in the 18 tall by himself until he passes on his own, or should I just leave him with everyone like he is now and let him try a few more times. None of my juvies are ready to breed yet, and my other pair is doing great raising their newest batch and the few wigglers I got from his latest which they have taken with no issues??

I have 2 breeding pairs right now. What kinds of angels are you looking to breed??? I also have a guest ion for Andy and Bob tho... my big male I sow past his prime as spawns are having less and less fertile eggs from him, which he has noticed and has turned him into an egg eater. What would you suggest I do?? Would he be OK in the 18 tall by himself until he passes on his own, or should I just leave him with everyone like he is now and let him try a few more times. None of my juvies are ready to breed yet, and my other pair is doing great raising their newest batch and the few wigglers I got from his latest which they have taken with no issues??

Before giving up on him as a breeder, I'd pull a spawn and see if there really are less viable eggs. After that, if the majority of the survivors are not "normal", then he is past his prime and I would either trade him for a younger male or put him in a " Out to pasture" tank to live out his days. (Just remember, it could be years that he is in this pasture tank. ) As for an 18 gal? I'm not sure what the dimensions are to say yes or no. If there is enough room for long term living, then YES. If only short term living space, then NO.

Hope this helps (y)

I wanted to raise some juveniles and let them pair off on there own. i was planning on lije breeding for same colors. possibly marbles of a lighter color? won't need them til early august probably . that's the date I'm aming to have all my tanks cycled. what level ph and temp do you keep yours at.

His last spawn had about 25 survivers when I got home. Most of it was fungused eggs. I added them to the other pair's wigglers and they never even noticed the difference. His last 3 spawns, with 2 different females have been like this. He ate the other 2 before I could pull them. When he started a year ago there were only a few dead eggs in each spawn. I'll give him another try as you suggest. The 18 tall has the same footprint as a 10, but is like 21 inches tall. He has a palm sized body, and is a super veil.

I also have a 20 tall, and 39, but would like to use them as breeder tanks. I currently have my other pair in the 18...

I have a question for andy. since you keep your fish outside do you ever have to worry about stray cats or birds or any other animals trying to eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom