Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im getting enough pairs now to be able to make pairs now myself. I just picked 2 pairs up from my local petco who got them in as a adoption and got them for 20 dollars a pair with 3 other prebreeders also. The girl at our local petco messaged us asap about them they were in the show tank for less then 20 minutes. I also just picked up another pair from a guy in philly that same night who was shutting down tanks and needed them gone. I have 6 pairs now. Just waiting for the new ones to get comfy enough to breed again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
That's great. (y) Sounds like you will need your own new building soon too. :brows:

(y)

Thank you for letting me know about the Koi strain Andy.

I was surprised by the color being so red. Will try for a better pic soon.

I will be getting this one grown up and we will see who the lucky mate will be.

I only wish I could find those Red Caps again. They were amazing looking fish and truthfully, I like them better than the Koi strain. I can only assume that the Sunset Blushings are from the ones of the Red Caps that didn;t have much red? Who knows? ;)

This fish was from petco, just a fyi. There were many marbled with orange and black and the red top fin. I imagine someone was trying the same thing to get them to breed darker orange/red.

Can anyone helo me sex this angel im leaning towards female.. im new and awful at this so any help is appreciated(:)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409010836905.jpg
    1409010836905.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 1409010867236.jpg
    1409010867236.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 48
  • 1409010890411.jpg
    1409010890411.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 53
Can anyone helo me sex this angel im leaning towards female.. im new and awful at this so any help is appreciated(:)

It's just so hard to tell unless there breeding but if I had to guess I would say female because of a few little tricks. Although I didn't see the papilla(external sex organ) I noticed the flattish shaped head and the small indentation right in front of its lower fin. I'm not positive but female would be my best guess ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's a way you can tell:
Before you feed the first meal of the day, look down on the fish ( from above) and you should see a bulge at the abdominal area if it's a gravid female or it should be a flat line of it's a male.
My first guess was a male but I wouldn't be putting money on that just yet ;) The close up pic has too much going on in the background so the part I need to see better is very blurred. The other 2 pics are contradictory for me. It looks like a male in one ( a flat stomach) and a female in the other ( rounded belly) so the above method is going to be your best choice for right now. Just make sure it's before they eat. A female can't hide her eggs. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Ok I will be sure to do that tomorrow sorry about the close up being blurry all I have is a phone camera. But it did look pretty squared off from my point which is usually female right?

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I will be sure to do that tomorrow sorry about the close up being blurry all I have is a phone camera. But it did look pretty squared off from my point which is usually female right?

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't worry about the pic. ;) I take probably 12-15 pics to get 1 good one all the time. :lol:

Usually, and I mean only usually, a flat bottom will mean a female but I've seen flat bottomed males, no hump on the head males, HUMP on the head females so it's hard to say definitely that if it's square it's a female. :facepalm: That's why I use the morning "gravid" test.
In wild fish, the angle of the anal fin plays an important role but since we are not talking about wild fish anymore, body shape is kinda out the window I'm afraid. You can check out this picture in my albums. These are 2 males and 1 female. The arrows are pointing to where I use for sexing: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Angelfish - Picture
As you can see, the differences can be slight making sexing without observing a spawning a real guessing game. :blink:

Hope this helps (y)

Well I had to remove one of my angels today bc he/she was getting bullied so badly.. sadly it was the koi I posted a picture of earlier so looks like he/she won't be pairing anytime soon..

I was able to get this guy for a trade hes suppose to have double dose of blue not a great picture but he's a proven male and hopefully with some selective breeding I can get a good line out of him in the future.

Attachments

• 1409108119583.jpg
    1409108119583.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1409108144981.jpg
    1409108144981.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 42
Also can pick up this guy/gal. Was told he/she is a wild pearlscale single bar? Thoughts sorry bad pic I hate phones!! Lol

Attachments

• 1409108383131.jpg
    1409108383131.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 63
I'm not sure I'll ask probably a cross but I'll look into it

So here are a few of the F1s I'm working:
The Koi in these pics are the same fish just different sides. I've had my eye on him from the start with his black face. :D Not a lot of orange but definitely a personality.
The marble in the third pic is from a Silver Veil/ Dark Marble mix. Looks more like a "retro" marble from the 60s opposed to today's marbles I see. Notice the fins on these fish. ;)

Attachments

• F1 Koi-Panda.jpg
    F1 Koi-Panda.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 58
  • F1 Koi mix.jpg
    F1 Koi mix.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 55
  • F1 Marble- Silver.jpg
    F1 Marble- Silver.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 62
  • F1 Silver- Zebra-Marble.jpg
    F1 Silver- Zebra-Marble.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 59
More pics:
Top pic is actually in a 2 1/2 gal tank ATM. Only barely a nickle body size but look at those fins :D The fish in the bottom pic are barely good. Only a couple that have good fins but I think strong panda genes so I've kept these few to see.

Attachments

• Sm Silver Veil.jpg
    Sm Silver Veil.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Panda side.jpg
    Panda side.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Koi side.jpg
    Koi side.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 50
  • F1 Panda- Marble.jpg
    F1 Panda- Marble.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 51
Those are nice angels andy. My newest batch became free swimming yesterday and am expecting eggs today again. My 2 week old are fat happy little fish. Cant wait ro start seeing real fins showing up soon

Those are nice angels andy. My newest batch became free swimming yesterday and am expecting eggs today again. My 2 week old are fat happy little fish. Cant wait ro start seeing real fins showing up soon

Thanks :) It's amazing how these fish came from the same spawns that had to have soooooo many destroyed. Hopefully, by breeding good fish to good fish a few times, I can get more good fish then bad fish. ( fingers crossed it still works that way :brows:)

Now it's off to the home depot for me to order my supplies for the building. The floor is done :D (y)

I need suggestions for a reliable air pump to run about 100 outlets, average depth 12"- 18" I currently have a blower capable for this but want a reliable backup. Linear pumps maybe? Please tell me what you are using and detail your use. Thanks

Well I think I may be joining the group here soon! I was on awhile back when I had a pair that was laying but the male was an egg eater 10 spawns ate everyone. He would follow the female right up the side sometimes even bit her breeding tube so I seperated them. On sunday I got a new male and put him in my 45 hex angel tank and they spawned last night eggs wete fertile as of this morning and saw a few left this afternoon by 5 they were gone all the other angels were eating them :( the poor pair were fending them off the best they could but my plan was to let the new male pick his gal so it worked out they are now in their own 20 gallon :D I plan on letting them raise them as I jave limited tank space since all tanks must stay in my room atm and I would like them to spawn slower so far its going well cant wait to see how their babys turn out!

Hi Andy. It's been awhile since my last post. I've been following but since I'm not breeding at this time I don't have much to say. I've basically shut my room down to renovate it but unfortunately my work has kept me from completing it. Anyway what tanks I do have running are all fed by a Gast regenerative blower. A bit over kill but it leaves me open for a lot of possibilities plus I got a good deal on it. Since it does cause a certain amount of friction with the air moving the air gets hot which also helps with warming up the tanks. I picked up an inverter/charger that keeps a charge on a 12v battery and when the power goes out it switches to the battery thus keeping the blower running. My current battery will keep it running for 21hours by my calculations. I myself have thought of having a linear pump as a back up as well.

Cheers, Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom