will a betta be happy in a large tank (64 Gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 64 gallon Euro tank with sand substrate, moderately planted with artificial plants (don't judge me), and some lava rock. it also has two Penguin Biowheel 200s in it.

My question is would a betta be all right and happy in a tank like this?

(also it has been cycled and I am trying to get the ph to neutral or close to it also planning on adding java moss to a DIY pvc cave later on)

I had a betta in a large tank and he was fine. Decided to pick on a gourami one day and had to get shifted but otherwise all good.

Yep, they'll love it!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

The space of your tank may be the key thing. Thing is, Beta's are very pretty - but odd - fish (behavior-wise). They don't fight all the time but just because they are getting along with tank-mates for awhile doesn't mean they will later.

I've only got a 10 gallon tank and had a Beta and two small Corey Cats together and they got along fine at first...then somebody must have said something and they started chasing around and fighting (the Beta was doing most of the chasing so maybe one of the Corey's insulted him). I pulled the Coreys out and put them in my larger tank (no Beta) and now they seem happier. The Beta just get's it's own tank.

The space of your tank may be the key thing. Thing is, Beta's are very pretty - but odd - fish (behavior-wise). They don't fight all the time but just because they are getting along with tank-mates for awhile doesn't mean they will later.

I've only got a 10 gallon tank and had a Beta and two small Corey Cats together and they got along fine at first...then somebody must have said something and they started chasing around and fighting (the Beta was doing most of the chasing so maybe one of the Corey's insulted him). I pulled the Coreys out and put them in my larger tank (no Beta) and now they seem happier. The Beta just get's it's own tank.

Can't stop laughing over "maybe one of the Corey's insulted him"! xD

<g.m.t.a>

Is the lava rock sharp? I have some and it's rough enough to tear a betta's fins.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A lot is going to depend on what type of Betta you are talking about. "Regular" (Betta spendens ) Bettas with long finnage will not fare as well in a tank with high water movement as a short finned type would. They also need to get air from the surface so if the tank is deep, not really a good Betta tank unless you put plenty of places at the surface for the fish to hang out and rest near the top. It will probably stay close to surface most of the time.
Display Bettas were designed for small bowls or tanks, not big ones. That's why the fins were grown long. They are for show not for swimming. Since Bettas are not active swimmers under the best of circumstances, putting them in a large tank can do just as much harm as good. They are not "Regular" fish. :nono:

There are a lot of things you can get to float near the surface for them. Petsmart has somethings that are good for that. I use this little grid of fake grass. I stuck a cork in the center grid so it would float and wove some plants into it to make a little floating island. I also stuck the plastic container my beta came in into my 36 gal tank with him. Added a cork and some real plants to the jar; he swims into it and chills out when he needs a break from the current. There is a lot you can do but betas will definitely stay at the top and need some considerations up there :0)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461007041.247443.jpg

(Sorry for the glare)

The largest tank I've kept a betta in was 55 gallons. He was very happy and lived with several other fish. Sadly he got a bad fungal infection and died. I only had him 6 months

The largest tank I've kept a betta in was 55 gallons. He was very happy and lived with several other fish. Sadly he got a bad fungal infection and died. I only had him 6 months

With all due respect, a fish getting a"bad fungal infection and died" is not a sign that the fish was happy nor healthy. Healthy fish rarely are effected by fungal diseases. He sounds like he was so stressed that he couldn't ward off the fungal infection. One of the reasons for this could be that the tank was too big for him so he had to struggle constantly to get air and food that it made him weak. (Just a hypothesis. :whistle: )

With all due respect, a fish getting a"bad fungal infection and died" is not a sign that the fish was happy nor healthy. Healthy fish rarely are effected by fungal diseases. He sounds like he was so stressed that he couldn't ward off the fungal infection. One of the reasons for this could be that the tank was too big for him so he had to struggle constantly to get air and food that it made him weak. (Just a hypothesis. :whistle: )

It covered his face and gills so he obviously wasn't able to breathe. He used to play with the other fish in the tank and would even protect some of the fish that were picked on.

He even chased off a serpae tetra that was picking on one of my neon tetras and then herded it back to the other neon tetras

I had a betta in a 55 for years, but I had caves and plants that went almost to the top of the tank and he hung out up there a lot. He also navigated the entire tank. It's hard to say if a fish is happy, but he was pretty perky, healthy and ate well.

A placket finned Betta might be a better option in a larger tank like a 64G.

If for a comunity tank, you will need to make sure there are various places near the top for him to rest - many options for that as previously mentioned.

Bettas are odd, also as mentioned previously. Sometimes great pals with tank mates and the next day you find torn up fish (usually a smaller tank can see the mayhem remnants more easily big tank they kinda disappear).

What else are you wanting to keep in the tank?

Also some fish are a little weak from a life in small spaces and can need to take some time to strengthen up, as they get stronger, a healthy fish will be very active all over the tank.

It covered his face and gills so he obviously wasn't able to breathe. He used to play with the other fish in the tank and would even protect some of the fish that were picked on.

He even chased off a serpae tetra that was picking on one of my neon tetras and then herded it back to the other neon tetras

Just the thought of watching a betta protecting its tank mates makes me so happy inside. Lol

question, how do you feed a beta in a really big tank same as a small tank?

I usually sprinkle some freeze dried bloodworms on the surface after I put in food for the other fish. He will also compete for frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.

That's cool I saw a video of a guy that had 3 betas in a 300 gallon tank and I wondered how he actually fed them. Apparently if they have enough space they dnt fight to the death they run away.

Back
Top Bottom