Will an amazon sword get too big...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
For my 10 gallon tank? I know I have seen some places that suggest a minimum of 20 gallons, while others say it is okay in a 10. I really like the looks of it, but don't want it to completely take over my tank. I cannot take it back to the LFS if it does get too big.

Outgrew a 125?! I guess I will just keep it until it gets out of hand. Too bad because it has a runner with 3 or 4 plantlets. Any other ideas instead of throwing it out, hate to kill it.

Why not just keep it tame as suggested above. Whenever a leaf grows bigger than the rest of the others, trim it at the very base. Repeat for the next few. The plant will then start growing smaller leaves that are closer together (shorter stems).

Don't be afraid to trim the leaves off. You will actually find that the sword plant will respond to this and grow faster than before. Take a look at my 90 gallon planted community, as you will see what I mean.

I have to agree - trimming them up makes them manageable. 20 gal have one full grown and 2 plantings I trimmed off of the parent plant. Unchecked they will take over much of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom