Will any 6500k Light grow plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
This has probably been kicked around before, but I could not find the answer.

I am trying a DIY Algae scrubber to try to lower my nitrAtes. i need some light to shine on it.

Will any 6500K bulb work? or LED for that matter? I am trying to keep costs down so thus the question.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Ed

Well wattage certainly comes into play in your case, the k rating is the color temp, you may even be better off with a different k rating to grow algae, are you using a standard socket led or a panel type?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am flexible in regards to standard socket. Cheaper is better. I would assume standard socket, but I want pretty low profile...

Here is the link i got the idea from. I don't have the time to buy LED's and a power source and solder them up.

He has two different set ups, I am going with the black box on the outside of the aquarium.

The light will be about 2 -3 inches from the grow surface.

Any thoughts on this? I am curious how well it will work, so I thought I'd try it.

If anyone is interested I'll post progress.

Thanks

Micey, 6500k cool white? What wattage do you suggest?

What about LED for low profile, If I can keep it in the box, the kids won't be too curious.

Your thoughts?

If going with LED's what wattage would you recommend?

I researched a little of what Brookster mentioned about color.

I came across this

Harriet Lane Handbook: [Effect of LED's red/blue light on the growth characteristic and lipid production of Scenedesmus sp. LX1].[Effect_of_LED's_red/blue_light_on_the_growth_characteristic_and_lipid_production_of_Scenedesmus_sp__LX1]_

Then found this on ebay.

Pick One Red Blue Orangewhite Hydroponic LED Grow Light Lamp 225 120 110V 229pcs | eBay specifically the red,blue,orange, white

I would think this would work fine pressed up against the tank glass, certainly bright enough..

Plant Lighting

This has probably been kicked around before, but I could not find the answer.

I am trying a DIY Algae scrubber to try to lower my nitrAtes. i need some light to shine on it.

Will any 6500K bulb work? or LED for that matter? I am trying to keep costs down so thus the question.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Ed

Hello ed...

Any lamp in the 5500K to 10,000K range will grow the darker green aquatic plants. These typically require low to moderate light and little, if any supplemental fertilizers.

I keep these plants and use a combination of 6500K and 10,000K bulbs. Plants like a variety of spectrum lighting like fish prefer a variety of foods.

B

Since you are growing algae, not higher plants, I would bet colour temp has less to do with success than intensity. To do it cheap, a couple of CFLs in 5000K or 6500K should work fine. My personal experience with plants is that 5000K works better than 6500K, which is contrary to what you often see on forums. I sometimes wonder where this 6500K thing got started, It seems to have taken on a life of it's own. The colour temp of the sun at the equator at noon is around 5500K. The other consideration is that colour temp is only part of the equation. Not all tubes or lamps of a certain colour temp are the same.The actual wavelengths of light available maty differ significantly between brands and even with a single brand. For example, Philips makes a number of 5000K tubes with varying CRIs from around 82 to around 95. While the basic appearance of the light may be similar, the actual light will be different, in terms of the wavelengths.

Hello ed...

Any lamp in the 5500K to 10,000K range will grow the darker green aquatic plants. These typically require low to moderate light and little, if any supplemental fertilizers.

I keep these plants and use a combination of 6500K and 10,000K bulbs. Plants like a variety of spectrum lighting like fish prefer a variety of foods.

B

cool, thanks.....

I have fugeray planted + for my plants, I just want to try some nitrate scavenging methods. ( More playing than anything else) Kinda a step before setting up a freshwater sump with heaps of plants and multiple algae scrubbers.)

Since you are growing algae, not higher plants, I would bet colour temp has less to do with success than intensity. To do it cheap, a couple of CFLs in 5000K or 6500K should work fine. My personal experience with plants is that 5000K works better than 6500K, which is contrary to what you often see on forums. I sometimes wonder where this 6500K thing got started, It seems to have taken on a life of it's own. The colour temp of the sun at the equator at noon is around 5500K. The other consideration is that colour temp is only part of the equation. Not all tubes or lamps of a certain colour temp are the same.The actual wavelengths of light available maty differ significantly between brands and even with a single brand. For example, Philips makes a number of 5000K tubes with varying CRIs from around 82 to around 95. While the basic appearance of the light may be similar, the actual light will be different, in terms of the wavelengths.

Great, Interesting info. I wonder where the 6500k got started. None the less, I ended up buying this light...

Pick One Red Blue Orangewhite Hydroponic LED Grow Light Lamp 225 120 110V 229pcs | eBay

I chose the red, blue, orange, white combo.

Your thoughts?

I went with a LED because i wanted it to sit inside a black box on the hidden end of my tank. If it is flush mounted, the less chance of my little ones seeing and playing with it.

Great, Interesting info. I wonder where the 6500k got started. None the less, I ended up buying this light...

Pick One Red Blue Orangewhite Hydroponic LED Grow Light Lamp 225 120 110V 229pcs | eBay

I chose the red, blue, orange, white combo.

Your thoughts?

I went with a LED because i wanted it to sit inside a black box on the hidden end of my tank. If it is flush mounted, the less chance of my little ones seeing and playing with it.

While all my leds on my high tech tanks (finnex, current) claim the 7000k area, my dual 13W 5000k low/no tech 10 gal grows like a jungle with very little algae present on plants and very little ferts or glut..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom