Will blue light hurt a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claytech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My old betta I had bought at Walmart died on me about 5 months ago and I want to get another. However, I am considering buying a bowl that is round, but flat on the sides so I can put it up against my computer tower that is see-through with a blue light.

My question is will the blue light hurt the fish? The light is on 24/7, but the room lighting is off when we sleep. Can you fish junkies out there give me some advice? I'm a newbie to the whole fish thing...only have had an aquarium for close to 7 months.

Thank you in advance. :)

Clayton :fish2: :flowers: :ermm: :D :dance: :thanks: :fish1: :banghead:

Attachments

• fishbowl05ac.png04d62ddb-0c40-45b7-9ac4-d615c3683fdaLarger.jpg
    fishbowl05ac.png04d62ddb-0c40-45b7-9ac4-d615c3683fdaLarger.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 135
Bettas really need to be kept in filtered, heated, tanks. I think a bowl would be too small. All you would really need IMO would be a filtered and heated 2.5 gallon aquarium and you will be set (y) and most 2.5 gallons are sold in kits, so they will already have a light :)

IMO you can keep a betta mostly healthy and have a long life in a bowl but only if you do very frequent large water changes. The only reason a betta can be kept in a bowl is bc they have the ability to breathe air from the surface, and are very hardy. That being said you will have a healthier "happier " fish in a 2.5 - 5 gallon filtered, heated tank as it provides a much more stable, lower stress environment for the fish. You can't cycle a bowl with no filter so the harmful chemicals will constantly be building up stressing the fish and causing things like fin rot. The chemicals can only be removed through frequent water changes in a bowl.
It's your decision, but a filtered heated tank is best for a happier, longer lived betta.

To answer your question, many lights come with a blue "moonlight" setting, so as long as the computer isnt heating the tank to unsafe levels, then the blue light is harmless

Back
Top Bottom