Will male beta eat guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I am putting 7 guppies in a 10 gallon (2 male, 5 female)
Will a crown tail betta kill them, if yes what would be a nice centerpiece fish for the tank?

It might. It really depends on the temperament of the specific betta. I've kept a plakat (short finned "fighter" type betta) with guppies before with no issues, although it was short term (I moved him to my 5 gallon so I could put females in.) However this was in a 20 gallon tank, where there was more room for him to have a territory and he was pretty laid back. In a smaller area the betta might be a little more aggressive since he doesn't have quite as much room to establish a territory. If you want to try it, just have a backup plan for the betta so you can move him if you start having problems.

Ok, man I really wanted a betta, but if he is going to hurt my guppies, might as well just go with a dwarf gourami

Ok, man I really wanted a betta, but if he is going to hurt my guppies, might as well just go with a dwarf gourami

There is no guarantee that he will. Adding Bettas with other fish works best if you can add them last, and you can always put him in a floating breeder box for a while so you can see how he reacts to them before letting them loose. If he flares a lot, either get him his own small tank or return him and try again with another betta. I've also heard that crowntails seem to be more aggressive than other fin types, so maybe go with a veiltail. I haven't tried a crown in a community tank yet, so I can't really speak from personal experience here.

If you are set on a betta, there is a chance you can get a smaller female so that she grows up with the Guppies and won't hurt them. Again, it's a chance ;)

Unfortunately, the best fish to keep with Guppies are either other Guppies or other livebearers. Since the Guppy has such an attractive tail and bright coloration, they tend to be targets for other fish that are fin nippers or seen as a threat by fish like Bettas. (The flashy colors makes Bettas think they are another Betta.) Something like a Dwarf Gourami is 50/50 chance. Some Male Gourami are more aggressive towards other males so it might see a colorful male Guppy as another Male Gourami.

Just some things to think about :whistle:

Wow, ok, I'm putting 7 guppies and 3 Cory catfish, there is no centerpiece fish available at petsmart:(

Did you try a veil tail betta and went well?

I had my current veiltail in my community tank for about 5 months with no problems, with neon tetras and bristlenose plecos as tankmates, but this is in a 56 gallon tank. I moved him into a divided 10 gallon about a month ago because he didn't seem to like the current, and I wanted to turn the tank into a sorority tank. I have also had a short finned betta in a 20 community with guppies as I mentioned earlier with no issues. Remember, Bettas aren't necessarily aggressive, they are territorial. I think it could work if there are lots of breaks in the line of sight. Real or silk plants work well, but be careful with plastic plants because they can tear a betta's long delicate fins.

Ok, so no other fish would be a good centerpiece fish?

Your choices are limited because your tank is so small. (I believe you said 10 gallons?) You could try a betta. Just be prepared to take him out and put him in another tank or return him to the pet store. Females tend to do better in community tanks, at least from my experience. You could see if you can find a female at your lfs. Some stores already have the females in community tanks before you buy them, just like any other community fish. I'd say go for a female. But if you don't want a betta, there aren't really that many more choices. You could google fish that can be in a 10 gallon. I don't know if a dwarf gourami would do well in it, but you can always look that up too. :)

Ok, maybe confused?
My current stock is 7 guppies, and 3 Cory cats, I'm just trying to find a good centerpiece fish

Would three or two work?

Well, in terms of compatibility it probably would, but given your current stock, I'd just get one to avoid being overstocked. Try to get a female already in a community tank at the store if you can. Just to be sure. It should work though

Back
Top Bottom