Will my gravel work for live plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll want to take the rhizome out of the substrate (the horizontal green root), if left buried it may rot and kill the plant. Its best attached to wood or decorations or at least only the actual roots planted in substrates.

I cant find the rhizome? Where is it?

Take the plant out, the leaves will be growing out of the top of like a pencil shape rhizome while the white root will be coming off the bottom of that pencil shape. That middle pencil shape can't be planted under the gravel. Only plant the white roots in the gravel. It will however grow much better if tied onto a rock or piece of driftwood.

Also before buying a new bulb look at your bulb and see if it has 4 numbers followed by a K on it. It would read something like 6500K or 6000K. This tells you what spectrum light you have. You said you have yellow tannins in your water so you might already have a proper spectrum bulb. One thing to remember is you can use bulbs from around 5000K to 10000K for growing plants. The plants don't see light as we do so what you need to remember is the lower the K rating the dimmer the light will appear to the human eye- the higher the K rating the brighter it will appear to the human eye. Many people choose 6500-6700K rated bulb as they are closest to what the noon day sunlight would be.

You definitely need to get a plant bulb which you can get at any hardware, Lowes, etc., for pretty cheap. Look for 6500K or 6700K rating on the bulb or box when you buy it.

Hello don't burry the end, rhizome, of the Anibus! It has to root on its own.

I didn't know there was a second page when I posted sorry for repeat advice..

Back
Top Bottom