Will my tank fall through the floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcutajar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive just purchased a Jewul Rio 400 which can hold 450 litres. I plan to put it in the living room. My problem is that the house is on stumps. Will it be enough to hold the tank and prevent it from warping my floor. It will be placed on tiles if that might help?

Thanks

I would suggest that you place it so the weight is distributed between as many floor joists as possible. That is quite a bit of dead weight to sit on the floor.

What Mebbid said.

Whenever you have a tank that is not sitting on a concrete slab, you want it to be positioned to span across multiple joists (perpendicular to them), so that the weight is being spread across them, instead of being concentrated on one end of one joist.

For my 90 gallon that is in our kitchen I purchased an adjustable lolli (sp?) column and placed it under the floor joists in the basement so that the tank is basicly supported on it's own from below. Not sure if you are able to do such a thing in your setup or weather I needed to do so but it just made me feel more comfortable knowing it had it's own support and would keep the floor from bowing over a peroid of time.

Back
Top Bottom