Will Polyps Come Back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a small rock of brown button polyps that I moved from my main tank to my nano. They were doing very poorly in the big tank, as the lighting was probably insufficient, and nitrates a bit high. The polyps have been closed up for quite a while, but presumably still alive (they're still there, anyway!).

They're getting more light in the nano, and nitrates are 0. All around better conditions. Will these things tend to open up again in time, and regenerate, or are they likely gonners? Thanks.

Will these things tend to open up again in time, and regenerate, or are they likely gonners? Thanks.

If they are closed, they are likely acclimating themselves to the new lighting conditions. IME, they are very hardy corals and will come back ;) When I put my first buttons in my 20, they stayed closed and took them about a month to completely open as they acclimated ;)

This is about a 2 weeks after I got them...
buttons3.jpg

This is them after about 6-8 months
buttons.jpg

I love them, buttons, seamats, zos...they are some of my favorites ;)

Thanks, RR. They look nice. Mine have been completely closed for a while (and some disappeared, I guess died). But I'll keep an eye on these and see how they adapt to the new conditions. :)

Back
Top Bottom