Will sand raise my ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im picking up a cheap 55gal this week from CL. I am debating whether to do sand or a bare-bottom tank. My ph from tap is already @8. I do not want this going any higher. I know most sand contains calcium carbonate which raises ph. Is there any cheap sand that does not affect ph? Right now i am leaning towards a bare-bottom with some floating plants...

Get PFS ... from your local pool supply store ... it's usually silica based and will not affect your pH. Chances are with a ph of 8, adding any sand that has CACO3
probably will not raise it by much.

PFS will give your tank a great look which I think you'll love!

If you are already that high any sand will probably have no impact. I use Estes Marine Sand (actually silica based sand) and definitely prefer this. Don't do bare bottom, that is about as unnatural as you can get. Sand is just as easy to clean but looks a thousand times better and is much more natural.

Thanks for the information! Most of my local pool supply stores are closed for the season but i will check online as well. Btw, that is my ph after its sat for 24hr with an airstone!

Thanks for the information! Most of my local pool supply stores are closed for the season but i will check online as well. Btw, that is my ph after its sat for 24hr with an airstone!

You could try a Lowes, Home-depot as other options ... if online doesn't work out. Most PFS I've seen is sold in 50lbs bags so there should be enough to cover a 55gal with 2 inches of sand .. maybe even 3inches.

IME the sand actually made for aquariums is a lot better, and has color options. Best of all is that it runs about the same cost as gravel. Not the cheapest possible option, but you only have to buy sand once.

Fishguy2727 said:
IME the sand actually made for aquariums is a lot better, and has color options. Best of all is that it runs about the same cost as gravel. Not the cheapest possible option, but you only have to buy sand once.

I'd agree that I'd rather buy the aquarium sand, I know it costs a lot more but if you get a bad batch you can take it back to the LFS and complain.

Any really do that with sand designed for a pool filter lol.

However if done correctly most sand can and has been used to great success :)

Back
Top Bottom