Will these fish work together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TN Tanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 135 Gal freshwater, about 6 foot long and 18 in wide. Will these fish get along ok together?

Trying to stick semi agressive:
school of crown loaches
assorted Gouramis
Discus

What else? Should I go all preds? I want pretty and interesting fish, already have a 150 gal trop. community

The clown loaches and discus should get along alright.

Not kept discus and gouramis together, so somebody else will need to answer that one.

Tn Tanks,
join the rest of the Tennessee crew down in the Tennessee regional forum.

All it takes is a pm to Voodoo Chilli letting him know you would like to join.

What do you have in your other tank?

Best,
dino

Some people report gouramis being fairly aggressive, but mostly internally between members of the same species. I have several of various species that never fight or bother the other fish, though. Pink Kissers are the largest of the commonly available gouramis, at about 12inches grown. The true 'common gourami' is a 24+ inch fish.

In my 150 Gal tank I have assorted tetras, silver dollars, plecos, clown loaches, about to add some angels and have a lobster coming in today. I saw your store Dino, you might put somewhere on your webpage where it is, I had to go to switchboard.com to look it up. Looks great, I am considering making the meet, or dropping by on my way to Gatlinburg this Feb.

James

lobster/crawfish will eat any fish they can manage to catch (Tetras specificly, since they tend to just slowly cruise around and stay small)

Watch that lobsetr or crayfish. They are really good at catching and eating fish.

If your 135 gallon is planted then the gouramis and discus should be fine together. Other than the chocolate gourami any other should be fine (though as mentioned some get quite big).

The 135 Has LOTS of artifical caves, patches of plants. I will take pics with I get my nikon back from my dad.

Pictures

I would love to see pictures of your new tank. We also have a 135 gallon freshwater, but I am having problems decorating it. I want to go with a natural look so I have plants and rock but I'm not really happy with it.

Discus are generally timid fish, so it is usually recommended not to keep them with busy, zippy fish (clown loaches) or aggressive ones. I don't think of them as community fish, but that is just me :wink:

I think if you skip the discus and the lobster (for reasons mentioned above - I have tried and failed at this) you will be in good shape. I think that would make a great gourami tank, and clown loaches will be in heaven with a fine substrate.

Back
Top Bottom