Will these type of rocks raise PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I seem to have a relatively high PH right out of the tap but it seems even higher in tank. I am wondering if rocks like these could be raising PH? Kind of hard to tell with the testkit but I am assuming it's about 7.5 given the blueish color on the API kit.

CAM00568.jpg

Last edited:
7.5 is actually a pretty neutral pH. I would love for my pH to be 7.5!

The rocks you have don't look to me like they'd be a problem, but you might want to take one out of the tank and test it with vinegar just to be sure. If you pour vinegar over it and it fizzes, it's either limestone or something with similar properties, and could be raising your pH.

Your tap water could also have a pH of 7.5. Reading it right out of the tap isn't always accurate. Set some tap water out, stir it a few times for about a day, and then test for the true pH.

I suppose I can try that. Just keep seeing recommended PH's around 7 so I assumed mine was high comparatively.

Thank you. Will do the test and find out for sure. I would assume I need to let the rock dry first?

Back
Top Bottom