Will this stand work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I bought the shims, did the best I could to level it. It's still a tiny bit off, but I no longer care. I'm so tired of fretting about it. I filled the tank, and so far so good. I got one Eheim moved over and I got the new AC situated and working. There is quite a bit of force in the return on the AC 110, even turned down. I hope it's not too much flow. I'm running carbon now to get rid of anything harmful. I'm moving the rest of the substrate, the deco, the other filter and the fish over tomorrow, as well as the bubble wall. My goldie babies are going to get lost in this big tank lol.

Everything is moved over to the 75 now. The AC 110 is so incredibly noisy that I'm returning it. I took the impeller housing off and checked for debris or anything else that could be wrong and didn't find a thing. I hope that the replacement isn't so loud.

Everything is moved over to the 75 now. The AC 110 is so incredibly noisy that I'm returning it. I took the impeller housing off and checked for debris or anything else that could be wrong and didn't find a thing. I hope that the replacement isn't so loud.
Both my 75's are...

Your filters are that loud? I seriously can't bear the rattling. I may have get my Eheim 2213 I have in storage and put it on the tank. It doesn't circulate the water as well as the AC does though. I'll give the new AC a chance when it gets here.

Id try composite shims, the wood ones will eventually mush under the weight. For a 1/4 I wouldnt even bother. When you can actually see he water line being un level you know its time to top off. My stand is on rubber mats though to protect my floor.
I think that stand you bought will hold it fine so long nothing whacks it too hard on the side. When I built mine, that was one of the tests I did. I literally kicked the side flat footed and NOTHING. To me the biggest threat of collapse is a side dropping, even more than the middle. I mean people put so much weight on the glass itself which is COMPLETELY unsupported. Rocks, wood, gravel, etc etc... all on unsupported glass. When I built mine I was going to cut a piece of ply just to support the glass but that worried me to with expansion and contraction pushing on the silicone.

I also have the luxury that my stand sits VERY low. All my stuff is low, I like it that way for watching while sitting and easy cleaning.

Those stands are manufactured to hold the weight, they sell them everywhere but look flimsy. Its like IKEA furniture. You build a TV stand and its wobbly, shaky, and ready to fall over. You then tack that horrid little piece of paper board to the back and you can now drive a truck on top to change your oil. Sad to say but most of these companies have people that know what theyre doing, they save a buck but know what theyre doing.

I would have just built one, I think you could have.

Id try composite shims, the wood ones will eventually mush under the weight. For a 1/4 I wouldnt even bother. When you can actually see he water line being un level you know its time to top off. My stand is on rubber mats though to protect my floor.
I think that stand you bought will hold it fine so long nothing whacks it too hard on the side. When I built mine, that was one of the tests I did. I literally kicked the side flat footed and NOTHING. To me the biggest threat of collapse is a side dropping, even more than the middle. I mean people put so much weight on the glass itself which is COMPLETELY unsupported. Rocks, wood, gravel, etc etc... all on unsupported glass. When I built mine I was going to cut a piece of ply just to support the glass but that worried me to with expansion and contraction pushing on the silicone.

I also have the luxury that my stand sits VERY low. All my stuff is low, I like it that way for watching while sitting and easy cleaning.

Those stands are manufactured to hold the weight, they sell them everywhere but look flimsy. Its like IKEA furniture. You build a TV stand and its wobbly, shaky, and ready to fall over. You then tack that horrid little piece of paper board to the back and you can now drive a truck on top to change your oil. Sad to say but most of these companies have people that know what theyre doing, they save a buck but know what theyre doing.

I would have just built one, I think you could have.

I reinforced as Brookster suggested and went with the manufactured stand. I feel somewhat better about it with some "bones" in it now. It seems to be working fine. Time will tell. I'm very happy with my paint job. The stand looks really nice now.
The height of the setup is a bit of a challenge. I have to use a stool to reach the bottom, and I still have a very hard time reaching the back of the bottom. It would be nice if it were shorter.
I did use the composite shims. The tank is still a tad bit off, the bubble in the level barely touches the left line, but I'm not concerned.

Cedar shims are fine, they are rot resistant and take weight well. Yah, my a.c. 70s can be obnoxious. Mostly 2/10 but when they get fussy it's a 6/10.

My 70's were never this noisy. I do believe something was wrong with that filter. I ran it without the media basket just to make sure, and all the racket was coming from the impeller housing. You run 70's on your 75g's?

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to stand the waterline being lower on one end. I'm going by Lowe's after work to see what type of shims they have. One thing after another... I'd really like to get this tank filled and running [emoji53]

My floor is not level and it I caught heck about my water line being crooked on my 72G, lol.

Also you mentioned the babies will look so small, BUT now they can get settled in and grow like weeds, with good water and plenty of room and good food, they are going to grow so fast. Ah..... BIG babies!!!:fish1:

Lots of posts, just a few thoughts.....

1/4" out of level is a big deal to me, most builders/fabricators will agree.. however, if I'm comprehending correctly sounds like reygan has it closer than that now? 1/4 left to right would probably drive me crazy, no foul in not letting it, in fact it's probably great to overlook such a small thing, wish I could.

I didnt see it before but is it a sand substrate? I've had some issues with sand and aquaclears. Other than that little flaw they are killer, however, I think most cannisters struggle with sand too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used shims on both front and back to raise it. Now it's much closer to level. Not sure exactly how much, but the bubble on the level barely touches the left line now lol. The water line is practically even across the front.
I do have sand substrate and even though I let the sand settle before turning on any of the filters, I knew it could be a potential issue. My canisters are silent, but that AC was awful. I took it apart and rinsed everything out, made no difference at all. The replacement is arriving today, we'll see.

My floor is not level and it I caught heck about my water line being crooked on my 72G, lol.

Also you mentioned the babies will look so small, BUT now they can get settled in and grow like weeds, with good water and plenty of room and good food, they are going to grow so fast. Ah..... BIG babies!!!:fish1:

I know!! I can't wait!! They looked tiny in the 40b when I first put them in there. I could tell pretty quickly that wasn't going to cut it as they grew. I'm already having visions of a 125 in my future [emoji848]

Lids can vibrate on them too. Make sure thats not the issue. Some times intake not seated right causes vibration in motor housing or touches lid. Ive also had luck with sanding magnet on impeller (smooth it out some). Mass produced parts some time just a little off. Real basic system. Look and listen closely and youll find the culprit.

Lids can vibrate on them too. Make sure thats not the issue. Some times intake not seated right causes vibration in motor housing or touches lid. Ive also had luck with sanding magnet on impeller (smooth it out some). Mass produced parts some time just a little off. Real basic system. Look and listen closely and youll find the culprit.

I tried it all. Lids are notoriously obnoxious on these filters. I never use them. I took the media basket out, no difference. Adjusted the intake several times. I agree, probably something simple with the impeller.

My current one makes the most noise. Not bad but....ive probably owned a dozen or so. Some just louder than others.

New AC installed and there is a notable difference in the noise. This one is quite a bit quieter thankfully. Funny thing though, the new one came without the intake U tube.

Ugh...now seems like the actual plastic filter case, not the motor, is making all the noise on this one. These filters are not designed for bedrooms. I've never heard so much racket. I've adjusted and readjusted everything on it. I google it and for crying out loud...that's a popular topic! Don't know what I'm going to do. I should put my Eheim 2213 on the tank, but the ac offers so much good flow.

Try taking the top off?? They rattle

You are correct. I never even put the top on. One thing I did notice was that when I adjusted the U intake pipe and raised it up a little, the media basket raised up on that side. I dread it but it looks like I'm going to have to take it off and look at it again.

Back
Top Bottom