Will this work? DIY Algae Scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about making my own version of an external algae scrubber.

Do you guys think i could put a water pump in my tank, pump water into a container outside my tank. Divide the container in 2 with a roughed up piece of sewing mesh. Put another pump inside the container on the opposite side of the sewing mesh of where the tank water is flowing in to, and put the outlet pipe back into the tank? On the side of the sewing mesh where the tank water is first entering i will have lighting so that algae grows.

What do you think? Are standard cheap water pumps powerful enough for this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't see that working too well. If the pump in the container fails, you will have an awful mess on your hands.

If possible, raise the container so that the water line is above the water line of the display tank. Using a single pump, you can pump water from the display tank to the container and allow water to return to the display tank via gravity through the use of bulkhead fittings. Basically, it is a sump above (or next to) the display tank. At this point you might just consider setting up a traditional sump.

I don't see that working too well. If the pump in the container fails, you will have an awful mess on your hands.

Ive changed the design. Thanks for everyones replies. Im going to have a container outside the tank. Have water pumped into the container which will be above the tank and then with some plumbing, run it back to the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will do. Just got to do some shopping around. I want to make this as cheap as possible.

I need help with what powerhead or pump to get please guys. :)

What do you think guys? Will it work?

Attachments

• 1408275063633.jpg
    1408275063633.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1408275077205.jpg
    1408275077205.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 72
  • 1408275098579.jpg
    1408275098579.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 1408275111941.jpg
    1408275111941.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 78
Idk what powerhead, but your system looks great!!!

I'm using a marineland 400 with a 360 moving deflector in a 29 gallon and the flow is barely noticeable. The plants move, but it's very gentle.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4586+23760&pcatid=23760

The one I picked was pretty cheap compared with others. The directions for assembly are useless, but I found a YouTube video.

I think for price you might consider one of the marineland powerheads

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Idk what powerhead, but your system looks great!!!

I'm using a marineland 400 with a 360 moving deflector in a 29 gallon and the flow is barely noticeable. The plants move, but it's very gentle.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4586+23760&pcatid=23760

The one I picked was pretty cheap compared with others. The directions for assembly are useless, but I found a YouTube video.

I think for price you might consider one of the marineland powerheads

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Thanks. I used a all pond solutions powerhead ( see attached photo). Im not sure whether to get rud of the mesh ontop. Will this stop the light from producing algae? I only added it because i didnt want to leave it open to dust etc.

Attachments

• 1408385351633.jpg
    1408385351633.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for posting pics. I like the out of tank and gravity flow design. I think that the area for algae growing can be improved.
What is the screen for at the top of the box? It might be reducing the light into the chamber IMO.
You could move the light source closer to the "box".
You could remove the yellow partial box lid and open it up for more area for algae growth. I would set a grid along the "floor" and place smaller grids along the four "walls".

Thanks for posting pics. I like the out of tank and gravity flow design. I think that the area for algae growing can be improved.
What is the screen for at the top of the box? It might be reducing the light into the chamber IMO.
You could move the light source closer to the "box".
You could remove the yellow partial box lid and open it up for more area for algae growth. I would set a grid along the "floor" and place smaller grids along the four "walls".

Hi thanks for you input. The screen is mainly for a lid purpose so it isnt exposed to daily living element. I.e dust.
I think i will add more grid to the walls and floor but i dont want to open the top too much coz i dont want to contaminate my aquarium. What if i cut out the same shape as the lamp on the mesh lid and lowered the lamp closer to it?

Understood (as I stare at the layer of dust on my shrimp tank lid...)
You could go with the cutout idea as long as the chance of splashing the light fixture is minimal.
You could try a sheet of acrylic instead for the top.
You could possibly experiment with other materials (such as the cloth mesh found on media bags) as an algae surface. Not sure if algae has an affinity for rougher, textured surfaces versus smooth surfaces.
I have seen some algae scrubber builds where the water twinkled down a fabric "curtain" right next to a light source. I'm certain evaporation was an issue with that design.

Understood (as I stare at the layer of dust on my shrimp tank lid...)
You could go with the cutout idea as long as the chance of splashing the light fixture is minimal.
You could try a sheet of acrylic instead for the top.
You could possibly experiment with other materials (such as the cloth mesh found on media bags) as an algae surface. Not sure if algae has an affinity for rougher, textured surfaces versus smooth surfaces.
I have seen some algae scrubber builds where the water twinkled down a fabric "curtain" right next to a light source. I'm certain evaporation was an issue with that design.

Ive done a slight change. Ive cut out a circle for the light. There is no way the water can splash because the hose is tight in the corner of my algae scrubber right close to the bottom, so no splash back.
Ive added a piece of roughened sewing mesh to the floor as suggested. Also the acrylic idea is a good one and i think i am going to purchase some on my next payday. Ive had to order more to do the sides so i have to wait. Heres some pics.

Attachments

• 1408397263501.jpg
    1408397263501.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 1408397278064.jpg
    1408397278064.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom