Wisteria help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting to notice my wisteria turning a bit yellowish, what maybe the cause of this.
I dose every other day 2 capfuls of flourish excel

mondays and thursdays I dose csm+b 1/4tsp each day
on monday, thursday and saturday I dose potassium sulfate 1/2tsp per day

Assuming that you have enough light for Wisteria, my guess is that you're running low on Nitrate and/or Phosphate.

what size is ur tank? I grew wisteria very successfully on 130 watts CF on a 55 Gallon with CO2 injection and EI dry fert dosing.

If this is your 75 gallon from your sig, unless the wisteria is being blocked by other plants/decorations light level shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have a picture of your tank? Wisteria is a very fast growing plant that can deplete nutrients quickly in a tank. I would recommend being on the lighter planted side of things if possible.

I also think nitrAte is not a possibility due to your stocking level and species. I assume you got the dry ferts from Greg Watson? Pick up a pound of mono-potassium phosphate and dose that on days you are not dosing CSM+B (they are incompatible). That would rule out phosphate as a possible issue.

I would also switch to dosing the Excel every day, but the amount I'm not sure about (maybe just 1 capful each day, but that seems like so little). You have a big tank to be adding a liquid carbon source, but pressurized is obviously a significant expense and DIY isn't really practical.

At this time if its not a phosphate issue (which is somewhat unlikely due to feeding your fish which normally has a good bit of phosphates in it), I would lean towards a carbon/CO2 deficiency. If you have a GH/KH test kit that could help us understand your other macro's (Mg/Ca).

HTH

this is my 75g and I do have kh/gh test kits and phosphate test kit, which today I will post the results and transfer the wisteria to the center of the tank where possibly more light might hit it. thanks all please come back when test posting are available.

UPDATE:
ok got my testing done.

ph 7.4 to 7.6 cant really tell cause it jumps to 7.2 to 7.6 on card
ammonia 0.0 to 0.10
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 20
phosphate 1.0 to maybe 2.0
GH 14 switch to other color lightly 15th drop change all the way
kh 6 switch to other color lightly 7th drop change all the way

How are the leaves yellowing? yellow leaf edges, yellowish around veins, Old or new leaves showing yellow, any other symptoms?

yellow on the edge starting at the tips of the leafs on old leaves, which becomes a little transperent and dark brown, which then starts from the tip and makes its way to the stem.

I am already dosing 1/2 tsp of potassium on tuesdays thursdays sat and sun

The plants are saying you need to add more, so add a little more. You can not over dose K so don't worry.

Also remember that when you add more, if the Wisteria is good sized, you may need to add nitrate and phosphate, as the low potassium could be slowing the uptake of the other nutrients as well. So you may need to dose a little of everything.

these where the readings of last weekend:
this is my 75g and I do have kh/gh test kits and phosphate test kit, which today I will post the results and transfer the wisteria to the center of the tank where possibly more light might hit it. thanks all please come back when test posting are available.

UPDATE:
ok got my testing done.

ph 7.4 to 7.6 cant really tell cause it jumps to 7.2 to 7.6 on card
ammonia 0.0 to 0.10
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 20
phosphate 1.0 to maybe 2.0
GH 14 switch to other color lightly 15th drop change all the way
kh 6 switch to other color lightly 7th drop change all the way

Also remember that the readings on nitrate and phosphate test kits may not be accurate, and it could be dropping out. When I was testing 25ppm with my AP kit, then tried the LaMotte Test Kit, I was at less than 5ppm. So it may not be 20ppm nitrate and 1-2ppm phosphate. The only accurate way to test is to calibrate the test kit, which I haven't done. I just dose to keep in excess, then weekly water changes to bring the tank back into sync.

I'd start by upping your potassium dosing by 1/8tsp each day and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom