Worms with my red charry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed some worm type creatures in my red cherry shrimp tank. At first I thought they were baby shrimp but after some research I found they are not and they might be parasitic. How do I treat the tank? Anyone know what they are?

I can't get a picture but they look similar to my vinegar eels only larger.

Are they maybe Copapods ( I don't think I spelled that right)

Little white specks might be copepods.. to me they look a bit like the classic Playboy bunny icon when full grown, with a pair of 'ears' above a rounded body. There are other things in the same general class of creature, all harmless and often eaten by fish.

The wormy looking things might be nematodes, might possibly be planaria, though native planaria are not that big in size. They're certainly wider than a nematode, with a slight triangle shape to the head and two eye spots on the head. They tend to glide over plants, glass, whatever. Generally harmless, though some believe they can harm newborn shrimps. Fish eat them too. The giant Asian planaria are pretty scary, they can get to over an inch long and quarter inch wide and eat baby shrimp easily. But you don't see them that often.. they usually hitchhike on plants from Asia.

There are some detritus worms that are also harmless, including Dero worms, which are pinkish, very skinny and when they swim, thrash along in a series of S curves. Very good fish food too. If you have a lot of any of these things, it often means you are overfeeding. Cut back on food and the numbers should decline.

There aren't many parasites that are visible that look like worms that you'd see just crawling on the glass.. if they are parasites, they'd soon disappear, either having found a host, or died for lack of a host. There are some insect larvae that are sort of wormlike, bloodworms are an example, but if you get a close look you see segments, which is tip off that it may be inset larvae. Those I'd get rid of, no telling what they might grow into !

Hydra can look like a small nematode when moving with the tentacles closed. They can kill baby shrimp, though not eat them.

If you can get a pic, it sure will help.

Back
Top Bottom