Worried about tank...NEED HELP ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettaluv

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 25 gallon tank. I am going to the fish store today to get my molly males (so they wont have babies)
I am really worried about my tank at this point. I have a filter running right now, and yeah it is working fine, but I am really worried that my fish wont be able to breathe. The filter doesn't seem to be disturbing the surface enough, so I am worried about aeration. The filter falls maybe 1-1/2 cm before hitting the surface. And then it only causes some slight ripples... Will this be enough to aerate my water properly? I have a bubbler, but the less electrical plug-ins the better. Do you think it will be enough? Or should I not take any chances and install the bubbler?
I also need help ASAP because I am leaving in 30 minutes to get the fish. My LFS is having this sale where every molly is $1.50. That is really cheap compared to their normal $3.97 price. The sale ends tomorrow, and I can't get out tomorrow to go get them, so HURRY! ;)

Are you cycled?
You should be fine but only get 1-2 and ask if they can hold another 1-2 for you at the same price so you can see how they react to the tank
I would add the bubbler-the more oxygen the better

yep I'm cycled :)
and I will. The owner is a close family friend so I'm sure they will do that for me.
I will add the bubbler. I saw on another thread that someone said something about too much oxygen in the tank being bad so...but oh well, I don't think adding the bubbler would be bad...right?

Nope, should be fine. You can try it without and watch your fish. If you see them gasping at the surface then try adding the bubbler.

As long as its the right sized tank there should be plenty of Surface to Air Ratio.

Mollies may pick on your Betta IME. Start with 2 and be ready to return them if needed. They can be bullies sometimes. I like a 30g or larger for Mollies, but 2 males may be fine.

I don't use bubblers at all. As long as your filter creates flow there doesn't need to be a lot of surface movement. Bubblers don't add oxygen directly to the water. They move the water, so more water touches the air.
here is a great article:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/104

And yes, with planted tanks we like water movement but if using CO2 we don't like surface agitation during daytime. At night it's fine.

If you want more splash, lower your water or raise your filter slightly.

ok, and BTW the betta is not kept with any other fish. He is in his own 5.5 gallon. The 25 gal is full of community schooling fish, and the 10 gal with tetras:)

Back
Top Bottom