Worried!! Plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quick question, I only have one vacuum system I use for both tanks. Will it be safe to use it on my other tank? Since I've been using it in the infected tank? Or should I be buying another one? I'm on a tight budget with a husband who doesn't appreciate my love for fish so if theres a way to disinfect it please tell?

Mlani said:
Quick question, I only have one vacuum system I use for both tanks. Will it be safe to use it on my other tank? Since I've been using it in the infected tank? Or should I be buying another one? I'm on a tight budget with a husband who doesn't appreciate my love for fish so if theres a way to disinfect it please tell?

Definitely don't use it on your other tank unless you have properly cleaned it. I accidentally did that when fighting ich for the first time and infected a second tank. I used bleach (rinse really really well afterwards) and hot water to clean mine. I also sat it in the sun for a day to completely dry out to make sure it was all dead.

Thank you. I didn't think it would be a good idea but I just wasn't sure. Was always taught, if not sure, ask. :) I'm hope my other tank will be ok without it's regular water changes until this ich clears up. I usually do a once a week with that tank. Two weeks without, should be ok right?

Ok, so after I clean the infected tank I'll soak the vac in bleach? Run it through with vinegar to get rid of any residual of the bleach and rinse it with super duper hot water? Think that's the best bet? I don't mind the extra work at all, I just want what's best for my fish :)

Mlani said:
Ok, so after I clean the infected tank I'll soak the vac in bleach? Run it through with vinegar to get rid of any residual of the bleach and rinse it with super duper hot water? Think that's the best bet? I don't mind the extra work at all, I just want what's best for my fish :)

Sounds like it should definitely kill it! Just make sure all the bleach and vinegar is rinsed off.

Yeah, its good to avoid any possible cross contamination. Just make SUPER sure about getting the bleach off. I would actually just use vinegar personally because its less risky. But, if its rinsed well it should be fine to use the bleach.

My whole house is run with R/O so I have no idea how much prime is in it? Is there a way to test it to see?I haven't tackled the other tank yet, did another scrub tonight with the vac in the infected tank. I think my catfish is having issues with the salt, unless it's the ich driving him bonkers? He's scraping on rocks and twisting his lil body round. :-( The temps almost there sitting at 82.

Mlani said:
My whole house is run with R/O so I have no idea how much prime is in it? Is there a way to test it to see?I haven't tackled the other tank yet, did another scrub tonight with the vac in the infected tank. I think my catfish is having issues with the salt, unless it's the ich driving him bonkers? He's scraping on rocks and twisting his lil body round. :-( The temps almost there sitting at 82.

Just let it dry out completely. The bleach residue will evaporate off. The cory's flashing because he's ichy! If he starts acting listless or gasping then he's having trouble. Have you increased the aeration?

Do you add any minerals back into your RO water? Without the minerals/buffers you pH can crash.

I've got the fizzer at full tilt and I've been leaving splash room at the top from the filter. Should I add more fizzers? (currently running only one big bomb from inside a car, which makes more bubbles) when I do my pwc I add cycle (bio supplement) and aqua+. Should I be adding something else?

Mlani said:
I've got the fizzer at full tilt and I've been leaving splash room at the top from the filter. Should I add more fizzers? (currently running only one big bomb from inside a car, which makes more bubbles) when I do my pwc I add cycle (bio supplement) and aqua+. Should I be adding something else?

No that's enough. No need to add anything other than a dechlorinator. Healthy tanks only need clean fresh dechlorinated water, no bacteria supplements or stress zymes.

Got a little confused, I'm good with the two things I'm adding? Or no, I don't need them? Sorry, just want to make sure.

Mlani said:
Got a little confused, I'm good with the two things I'm adding? Or no, I don't need them? Sorry, just want to make sure.

Read the bottles. Use the one that dechlorinates and ditch the other IMO. When you run out and need a replacement I recommend Prime.

K, the aqua+ works on the chlorine and chloramine. I was under the impression that when r/o is run you have to replace some of the bio as well? Not the case?

Mlani said:
K, the aqua+ works on the chlorine and chloramine. I was under the impression that when r/o is run you have to replace some of the bio as well? Not the case?

No not the bio/bacteria but the minerals/buffers that have been removed. I think there's a product called Kent's RO rite.

Thank you :) the next time I'm in the city I will look for prime and Kents r/o rite. Until then I'll just use the aqua+, drop the bio, and keep with the treatment for this stinky ich. Thanks again for all your help! I'll keep you posted if you like?

Mlani said:
Thank you :) the next time I'm in the city I will look for prime and Kents r/o rite. Until then I'll just use the aqua+, drop the bio, and keep with the treatment for this stinky ich. Thanks again for all your help! I'll keep you posted if you like?

Sounds good! And please do!

I agree with what Mumma said. RO takes out minerals, a bacteria additive is not needer, Prime is a good dechlorinator, and the cory is probably itchy. :) Good luck!

Thank you :)
It's getting pretty scary in the tank huge explosion of white spots. I read in the link that's normal, but I can't help but be worried. One of my rams has gone into hiding and I can't find him anywhere. I don't want to go digging for him. Poor lil guy is going through enough already. :-(

Back
Top Bottom